The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#115829 - 12/13/07 09:01 PM Re: Ice storm in OK [Re: DFW]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
I have had similar experiences to many of these. Falling limbs don't "snap" or "pop," when they break off, they BOOM!!!

A number of years ago, I had the branches of a chinese elm directly over my house freeze up in an ice storm.
The sound of the falling branches was very similar to what I would think a chandalere crashing might sound like.

#115873 - 12/14/07 04:56 AM Re: Ice storm in OK [Re: pipedreams]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I'm in Broken Arrow. grin I hope you're doing well!

We were without power for about 55 hours but we still have a LOT of friends that have been without power since early Sunday morning. Big pieces of the whole Tulsa metro area are still without power.

We used flashlights, small electric lanterns and candles for light. I prefer to keep a low profile so one of Honda's small Super Quiet gen's kept the frig on line and a couple of small electric heaters running. We have a gas cook-top, gas hot water heater and gas log fireplace so that helped with heat as well. The DW was surprised how much heat a stock pot full of boiling water puts off.

The local meteorologists gave us plenty of warning. I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't do the simple things like topping off gas tanks and stocking up on simple things like batteries.

Edited to add:
Thank God for a closet full of board games, art supplies, etc. The kids and I also found out that BB guns and icicles are good for HOURS of entertainment!

#115875 - 12/14/07 05:19 AM Re: Ice storm in OK [Re: 7point82]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Looks like Public Service Company of Oklahoma is saying 148,310 of their customers in Northeastern OK are still without power. 143,300 of those customers are in the Tulsa metro area.

PSO has posted some pictures here...http://www.psoklahoma.com/news/

#116249 - 12/17/07 08:02 AM Re: Ice storm in OK [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"And for fuel that is easy to store, look at wood pellets. They are a pain to light, but they burn slow while throwing good heat..."

Very true. Easiest way to light: form pile of pellets into a U shape (opening toward you). Light half a Coughlan's firestarter stick and put it in the U. Have a supply of narrow, dry sticks and criss-cross them over the firestarter. If you have some larger sticks, lay them over the U. Works great.

Tip: old, dry cedar fence boards (split) are excellent for starting fires.

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 697 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.