The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115548 - 12/12/07 01:20 AM Re: home defense [Re: ponder]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ponder
The Colorado church killings was stopped at four victims dead. A congregation member, VOLUNTEER in the lobby saw the stage unfold. As a former Minnesota police officer and a Colorado concealed weapon permit holder, she was lucky. With no organization, no 911 call, no authority, no pay check, no vest, no back up, no badge and no indecision, she fired.

Not to take away from the security guard's heroic action, however this new report states the gunman killed himself after getting shot by the guard.

#115567 - 12/12/07 02:58 AM Re: home defense [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
She stopped him.

He just saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

Sue

#115577 - 12/12/07 03:20 AM Re: home defense [Re: Taurus]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Thanks! smile

Dave

#115609 - 12/12/07 12:31 PM Re: home defense [Re: AROTC]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Originally Posted By: AROTC
That's a really good point. What are the best ways to improve security in your home? Or even more of a challenge, how do you improve security in an apartment where you can't make any major changes to the basic infrastructure? We don't walk down the street oblivious to our surroundings flashing cash and jewelry expecting to shoot anyone who attacks us. Security first, guns as a final response.

Good question. I live on the ground floor. The landlord had no problem with me putting bars on the windows. Very decorative so it doesn't look like a prison. And they can be opened from the inside for fire exit.

A cop told me of a good method to strengthen doors. First, you need a good door to begin with (and stron bolt lock). In a bad neighborhood, that probably means a steel clad one. When you install it, don't just nail or screw the door frame to the studs. Instead, weld one end of a sturdy steel cable to the door frame. Drill through two or three studs. Then thread the cable through the studs and attach it to a stud two or three down from the door. Do this on both sides. If someone tries to batter the door down the stress is being transmitted to the whole wall.

The guys who serve no-knock warrants hate it when the drug dealers do that. Of course, here again you will need permission from the landlord, but I have never met a landlord who objects to someone improving his/her property.

Also, have a dog. Even an ankle biter. They are great at early warning. Our apartment is right next to the front door. The dog has learned who the tenants are and only barks when a stranger comes in. And he starts barking when they come through the front gate. I know someone is coming before they even get to the front door.

#115611 - 12/12/07 12:41 PM Re: home defense [Re: DesertFox]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
I now live in New York City. We are allowed to use harsh language as long as it is not of a racially or religiously offensive nature. Of course, that's tongue in cheek. You can get a carry permit here. It's just a little more difficult than getting licensed to operate a nuclear power reactor.

Yeah, but, you know, people need nuclear power reactors!

#115613 - 12/12/07 01:01 PM Re: home defense [Re: DesertFox]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: DesertFox

A cop told me of a good method to strengthen doors. First, you need a good door to begin with (and stron bolt lock). In a bad neighborhood, that probably means a steel clad one. When you install it, don't just nail or screw the door frame to the studs. Instead, weld one end of a sturdy steel cable to the door frame. Drill through two or three studs. Then thread the cable through the studs and attach it to a stud two or three down from the door. Do this on both sides. If someone tries to batter the door down the stress is being transmitted to the whole wall.

There are better products for locking the door. Mine front door has ONE lock on it, but it has 2 bolts in the middle, 2 hooks to hook the door closed and metal "claws" on the hinged side. (hinged also mounted on the inside). All operated by one key and one cylinder. The keys are also not the standard type and very hard to pick.

#115730 - 12/13/07 02:01 AM Re: home defense [Re: Tjin]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
These might be really nice to have:

http://www.maxidor.co.za/maxishutter_domestic.htm

Dave

#115743 - 12/13/07 03:57 AM Re: home defense [Re: Microage97]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Very nice but a little bit out of my pay scale. I guess I will stick to my Mossberg, window bars, and my early warning device (called a German Sheppard by most folks) which works better than most alarm systems(lol)

#115764 - 12/13/07 05:27 AM Re: home defense [Re: Taurus]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Dogs are good.

Two Summers ago, just before dark, I heard the dogs barking like they had tree'd a raccoon, and then I heard a guy screaming. Being a little concerned, my buddy and I got up off the porch and went to investigate.

When we came around the corner, we found that my four dogs had a tresspasser backed up against the fence at the far end of the yard.

The guy saw us coming and started screaming at us to call off the dogs. I yelled back "They won't listen, they aren't trained". The look of terror on his face was priceless as he desperately tried to scrambled over the fence. It took the guy several attempts to get over the fence, while my dogs barked like crazy inches away from him.

We just stood back and watched.

The dogs never bit him, but I bet the guy needed a change of shorts.

Edited by GarlyDog (12/13/07 06:17 AM)

#115765 - 12/13/07 06:05 AM Re: home defense [Re: GarlyDog]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
"
The guy saw us coming and started screaming at us to call off the dogs. I yelled back "They won't listen, they aren't trained." The look of terror on his face was priceless as he desperately scrambled over the fence."

Would've made a great video !! LOL

laugh
some years ago a man who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, tried to break into our back door. Granted, I was lucky he didn't have a gun pointed at me, but I surprised him with my trusty K-Bar combat/utility. He dropped the steel rod in his hand, jumped back, screamed and ran like a rabbit. I really thought it was a racoon at the back door.

and there is no question that home invasions have increased. I live in a relatively low crime community and for some reason violent crime has had a marked increase in just the last few months with several shootings, one murder/rape, several home invasions and increased numbers of armed robberies. I am very glad to have the castle laws.

Security at my house has been stepped up.

And in fond rememberance of a neighbor who passed away some years ago: he was a Vietnam vet with a Purple Heart. He looked like a mountain man and sometimes scared people without intending to. He really was a good neighbor.

At the time, someone robbed a Salvation Army donation kettle in front of a store. Our Vietnam vet had volunteered to man one of these kettles. A TV news reporter had a camera on him to discuss the recent robbery incident. With a stern face, he said "I got one thing to say to you Punks. If you want to rob my kettle....just try it!"

That's a take.

Edited by hiker1 (12/13/07 06:06 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.