First my background...Former NYC Medic. Current FL Medic (with very liberal medical guidlines)....

We (my family) have a FAK. It contains the usual things...bandaids, kling, 4x4's, a 5x9, tape, tweezers, normal saline (NS) for varying uses, wipes...you get the idea.....

What else do I have..... I keep a larger amount of 4x4's and 5x9's and even a few 'trauma dressings' in the bulk storage. It is there for a number of reasons (not limited to hurricanes). I also have the stock of benadryl (both liquid and pill form) as well as the rub on stick for the bug/ant bites. OTC Aleve, Motrin and Tylenol. Antihistamines/Decongestants that we take as needed. I also keep a larger supply of sterile NS (again various uses-eye/wound rinse, gargle etc). More kling and gauze. Tape. Generally we keep the things that are basic but that you do not realize you will use so much of. Consider how often you need to change the dressing of (let's say) a bad road rash..... You will need a lot.

Yes I do have some sutures. I have them for the time that I may find us with someone who REALLY knows how to use them. Generally I would NOT be the one to do the suturing...now if I knew that there was a Doc or PA available then I'd have the supply for them to help me....

As for the Field Surgery Set...IMHO...don't spend the money.