Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#115614 - 12/12/07 01:05 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Susan,

I contacted the Houston Audubon society about Elmer Kleb's hat and actually got a response! It was a Stetson but it got lost somewhere along the line. frown

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words for the Audubon Society and also for Commissioner Steve Radack that made this park possible. Were you able to explore both tracts? Did you see the nature center building? We have a variety of activities you and your family might enjoy. Just reply by e-mail and I will add you to our weekly e-mail list for updates and coming activities.

The hat is an interesting story. You have a good eye for hats, it was a Stetson. However, it was a hand-me-down gift to Elmer from the lawyer the courts appointed to look after his affairs. We have his walking stick, which is a wooden snow ski pole he got looking through people's trash, but the hat was lost. I wish we had it as well. While he was picturesque in it, he only wore it a few years from about 1990 till his death in 1999. Elmer was born on this property in 1907 and died on it in 1999 about 2 months shy of 92 years old. We have very few pictures of Elmer as an adult and only one other shows him with a hat (in hand) when he was about 20. What kind of hat he wore most of his life I do not know.

Good luck on your hat search, if you wear such a hat in these woods, someone may mistake you for a ghost!
Fred Collins

Director Kleb Woods Nature Center
Director Cypress Top Historic Park
Harris County Precinct 3
Steve Radack Commissioner
http://www.pct3.hctx.net

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115659 - 12/12/07 06:02 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Good one Blast. They sound like a nice group.

I was almost certain that was not a canvas hat....unfortunately Stetson is not the company it once was. I would definately recommend you find yourself an Akubra. David Morgan is the place and just about any open crown model and a few decades of use will have you a nice hat that will evoke Elmer's memory.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.