Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115198 - 12/09/07 04:15 AM Looking for this hat.
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX

I love the hat this man is wearing. It looks like a Filson packer hat, but the brim seems much larger. Has anyone seen a hat like this or know where I could get one? The man is Elmer Kleb, a hermit that lived near Houston and died in 1999.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115202 - 12/09/07 05:11 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I haven't seen anything that looks much like it. I think your right. It looks like a Filson type design with a heavy canvas. Then again it might be felt or a really well worn leather. Possible considering the guys probable age.

I doubt your going to find a make, model and maker. Filson might have s

#115203 - 12/09/07 05:11 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I haven't seen anything that looks much like it. I think your right. It looks like a Filson type design with a heavy canvas. Then again it might be felt or a really well worn leather. Possible considering the guys probable age.

I doubt your going to find a make, model and maker. Filson might have something close. You might have to have one custom made. I would be tempted to talk to Filson and see if they could come up with something similar. They could call it the "Elmer Kleb". Sort of a living memorial.

Of course it it is felt it might be a possible DIY job.

I could see myself wearing something like that. A light color and wide brims are good for southern folks.

#115207 - 12/09/07 08:12 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Looks kinda similar to this Akubra "Coober Pedy" hat. But of course not nearly as expensive.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info....2cc8d0b9867c8ad

#115211 - 12/09/07 11:12 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
Whatever brand and model of hat this is, it's old. The crown looks like someone's been sitting on it for a while and the brim droops all the way around. And you're right, the brim looks wider that the Filsons which max out at about 3". Thought perhaps because the man appears to be slender - with a small hat size - the brim appears to be wider by contrast. I myself have a large head - hat size 8 - and I find that I need at least a 3.5 to 4" brim so that I don't look -hatwise anyway - like John Candy in Uncle Buck.

The Akurba site link provided above - or below - depending on where in the column this post lands, has hats that appear to be similar, minus the wear and tear. At $100 or more, they are expensive, but no so expensive for a fur felt. Good luck in your search.

#115239 - 12/09/07 08:59 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: saniterra]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Now that I look at it again I think I know what it is.

It is a common felt cowboy hat that has sagged and drooped with age, water exposure and wear. I'll bet you that if you took it to a shop that re-boxes cowboy hats they could return it back into an aproximation of its original turned up rim and western stylish self.

Personally I think it looks better how it is now. Sort of an sod-buster/mountain man look.

Assuming I'm right, I kinda hope I'm not because I only get to be right so many times a week, it should be easy to get one that looks like that.

1) Buy a high quality cowboy hat in an appropriate light shade. Buy quality because the cheap ones will fall apart instead of aging gracefully.

2) Wear and abuse it for fifty years taking care not to maintain it or its shape. When it gets so hats so nasty that it drops buzzards at 50' jump into a lake with it and wear it dry.

That would be the 'authentic' way to get one.

You might be able to get one faster by either buying the cowboy hat and selectively abusing it with water, steam and stomping it.

You might do even better to call a maker of high quality cowboy hats and have them send you one out that has just been felted to the general shape of a hat. But before it gets molded into the classic cowboy hat form. I once saw pictures of the hats before they are stretched, formed and finished and they kind of look like what Mr Kleb is wearing.

Remembering this is why it dawned on me that it is not a hat that was originally designed that way but rather a standard cowboy hat that has been regressed by wear and tear to an aproximation of its form before it passed the final stages of manufacturing a cowboy hat.

#115242 - 12/09/07 09:20 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kind of a Hoss Cartwright hat after lots of use and abuse...

#115264 - 12/09/07 11:47 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
banthony1 Offline
Stranger

This is not felt and will not have the "character" the hat you are showing does, but it is the same shape. I have one of these and I can recommend it as an excellent hiking/outdoor hat.

http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/product.asp/pfid/25011/

Summit Hut will have a lot of choices in hats.

#115353 - 12/10/07 01:05 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: banthony1]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

banthony1,

Welcome to the fire, newguy! Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that place before.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115354 - 12/10/07 01:09 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Art,

Judging from a few other pictures of Kleb I think the hat was some sort of tin cloth or oil cloth. Hmmm, maybe Shwert can hook me up with someone at Filson to make me a custom version of the hat.

The guy looks like Gandalf to me. He lived for almost ninety years without utilities and growing his own food on 133 acres. This land is now a nature preserve with his house and barn converted into a "living history" museum.

-Blast

#115372 - 12/10/07 05:47 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
well, then who got his hat?

#115377 - 12/10/07 06:21 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I would guess that is a fur felt not canvas hat. An Akubra Bushman or Akubra Coober Pedy would be a very good start....that and about 40 years of wear.

I am not much of a fan of Filson hats. They just don't fit me like an Akubra. This my Bushman....a few more decades and it could work.

#115383 - 12/10/07 07:17 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Schwert]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Schwert,

Thanks for responding. That is a nice hat you have there. How wide is the brim? It definately looks wider than the Filson.

I don't know why, but for some reason I'm in love with the idea of a tin cloth or oil cloth hat rather than felt. I suspect down here in Texas the canvas-type materials would feel cooler. Right now I wear a no-name boonie when adventuring. I want something with character.

And maybe a catskin hat band...

-Blast

Edited by Blast (12/10/07 07:17 PM)

#115386 - 12/10/07 07:18 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Martin,

I don't know who got his hat, but his chamber pot was on display. sick

-Blast

#115388 - 12/10/07 07:50 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

The Bushman is right around a 4" brim.

I find oilskin hats to be the same as wearing a sauna on my head....felt is much cooler for me.

For a canvas hat nothing beats a Tilley. I have a half dozen Filson tin and shelter cloth hats....never wear any of them as they are just too hot and not comfortable at all.

Also I do not consider a Boonie to be a hat. grin

#115392 - 12/10/07 10:29 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast

And maybe a catskin hat band...

-Blast

Be the first in your neighborhood to have a LIVE cat hat! grin

#115406 - 12/11/07 12:24 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Hey Blast, It looks like an old stetson to me one thats been out in the rain more than once. The second link is close but it has vents that your picture dosen't
http://www.stetsonhat.com/raw/collections/felt_dts.asp?ID=67
http://www.stetsonhat.com/raw/collections/felt_dts.asp?ID=62

#115411 - 12/11/07 01:29 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: raydarkhorse]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Ray,

I think those are the closest so far. Given this was in Texas the Stetsons make a lot of sense.

Gee, I didn't expect so many responses...

-Blast

#115421 - 12/11/07 02:29 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I was going to mention something about Texas and Stetsons but being as that we Texas need to be polite to one and another I refrained.

#115434 - 12/11/07 03:28 AM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"well, then who got his hat?"

"When Mr. Kleb died in 1999, the Houston Audubon Society acquired many of his affects. The Society allowed Tomball's Spring Creek Historical Association and the Klein, Texas Historical Foundation to take what artifacts they wanted."
(http://www.kleinisd.net/default.aspx?name=kisd.hf.mkwk.bbr)

Sue

#115614 - 12/12/07 01:05 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Susan,

I contacted the Houston Audubon society about Elmer Kleb's hat and actually got a response! It was a Stetson but it got lost somewhere along the line. frown

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words for the Audubon Society and also for Commissioner Steve Radack that made this park possible. Were you able to explore both tracts? Did you see the nature center building? We have a variety of activities you and your family might enjoy. Just reply by e-mail and I will add you to our weekly e-mail list for updates and coming activities.

The hat is an interesting story. You have a good eye for hats, it was a Stetson. However, it was a hand-me-down gift to Elmer from the lawyer the courts appointed to look after his affairs. We have his walking stick, which is a wooden snow ski pole he got looking through people's trash, but the hat was lost. I wish we had it as well. While he was picturesque in it, he only wore it a few years from about 1990 till his death in 1999. Elmer was born on this property in 1907 and died on it in 1999 about 2 months shy of 92 years old. We have very few pictures of Elmer as an adult and only one other shows him with a hat (in hand) when he was about 20. What kind of hat he wore most of his life I do not know.

Good luck on your hat search, if you wear such a hat in these woods, someone may mistake you for a ghost!
Fred Collins

Director Kleb Woods Nature Center
Director Cypress Top Historic Park
Harris County Precinct 3
Steve Radack Commissioner
http://www.pct3.hctx.net

-Blast

#115659 - 12/12/07 06:02 PM Re: Looking for this hat. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Good one Blast. They sound like a nice group.

I was almost certain that was not a canvas hat....unfortunately Stetson is not the company it once was. I would definately recommend you find yourself an Akubra. David Morgan is the place and just about any open crown model and a few decades of use will have you a nice hat that will evoke Elmer's memory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 719 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.