The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114761 - 12/04/07 09:18 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Hey HS, do you notice any difference in performance when mixing it to that level???

#114762 - 12/04/07 09:22 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Canoedogs,

I've also left gas in my lawnmower over the winter and it still ran (unfortunately grin). I think small engies like these can run on much dirtier gas than a car would need.

There are two problems with old gas:
1. Loss of volatile components which results in the gasoline having a higher ignition temperature. A hotter-firing sparkplug may help there.
2. Polymerization of heavier molecules into ultra-heavy components (varnishes and gums, think paint drying) which clog up fuel injectors, valves, and other components.

You can run your car/truck on old gas, but after a while you'll gum up your fuel system something aweful. I don't know if any of the current fuel additives help much with cleaning out this varnish.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114770 - 12/04/07 11:18 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Blast]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

There is also another good thread on gas storage here.

#114776 - 12/05/07 12:42 AM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Taurus]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Maybe you should give some thought to a small trailer....even if it's just an extra (large) fuel tank mounted on the trailer. A permately installed siphon pump, hose, and nozzle and you can yank that thing down to the pumps after transfer to your truck's tank. WHen you get home, back it under an open-sided shed, unhook it, and you're good to go.

#114780 - 12/05/07 01:40 AM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Stretch]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Not sure what the local regs are where you are at but oxygenated fuels have a shorter shelf life. Personally, I wouldn't go past 1 year even with adding sta-bil.

White gas has a longer self life (5+ years)

YMMV

#114782 - 12/05/07 02:15 AM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: JohnnyUpton]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How much modification are you planning to do on the truck, keep stock or build up more off road capabilities? Reason I ask is I want to mod my truck some so adding an extra tank is in the plan. I want larger tires which could mean the spare might not fit under the bed. So I want to build a rear swing out rack to carry a spare behind the tailgate. This frees up the space under the bed which is the place where the gas tank for the full size two door SUV's was located. Chevy Blaer or ford bronco both had rear tanks and some long bed trucks had a second tank there so my eventual plan is to buy a tank intended for replacement in one of those and mount it there.

#114785 - 12/05/07 02:49 AM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Eugene]
Taurus Offline
Addict

So far I have bought new tires and have upgraded my lights to xenon bulbs for better vision in storms. Next plan is for a brush bumper and a back rack. I had the side steps removed, and a reflex spray in box liner put in (worth every penny) I am looking to get a good self recovery winch when I can afford it as well. She works excellent during off road trips already so I will not install a lift kit or bigger tires. The cost of tires will jump considerably once you get above 17 inch, and bigger wheels don’t always mean better performance. On top of that it would send my fuel economy through the roof and it is already bad enough.

As you guys have noticed I have changed my post name. My buddies at work noticed it and advised me it may be a good idea to change it just in case I say something that offends someone online. In that sense I wouldn’t bring discredit to the Army. The fact that no matter what you say these days offend somebody was enough for me to stop and think that they are probably right. Totally stumped for a dammed name that wasn’t already taken my kid suggested my zodiac sign and here it is.
I apologize for the confusion.
Mac

#114853 - 12/05/07 07:01 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Taurus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Two hundred litres for the truck and 200 for the generator for staying home...

Do you think you are likely to have a need for both at the same time? If you find a way to safely store 200l, it seems you could use it for either purpose.

Sue

#114854 - 12/05/07 07:09 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Susan]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Maybe the truck runs premium? Or diesel?

#114859 - 12/05/07 07:54 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Susan]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I can only fit 200L in my truck along with the rest of my bug out gear. I try and keep the truck topped up at all times but that is sometimes not possible, like when arriving back home late at night from a hunting trip etc. If I get caught with my pants down in this kind of situ, then I can top up the fuel(time permitting) and get my family to safety and still have 200L to toss in the back. It may seem like a lot of gas to have on hand, but to fill my tank it takes 125L, and this gives me 600K range on the highway so you can see why extra fuel is nice should I have to go any distance. If I bug IN, then I simply have extra for the generator. Better to have extra than not enough.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.