Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114252 - 11/30/07 03:29 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: Stretch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I tell you what, when they put a PW on Mister Roger's Neighborhood, it'll be time to flush the whole bloody system.

They ought to put a big circle with a diagonal line on every image of Britney, Paris, Lindsay, Nicole...the list goes on and on. Yet the media keeps these fine examples of humanity stuffed in our faces 24/7.

#114265 - 11/30/07 04:14 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: Stretch]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

You sure you didn't get the X-rated version with the anatomically correct Muppets? A whole different take on Bert and Ernie. And the things Grover gets into. Don't get me started on Snuffleuppigus and what he does with his trunk/s.

Back to reality. It doesn't surprise me much. Moralizers and finger waggers can find corruption anywhere they look. Mostly because what they are seeing is the reflected corruption of their own minds. Moralizer don't eliminate their own corruption. They project it away from themselves.

Falwell thought the TeleTubbies as a gay conspiracy because they were carefree and one of the characters had a magic bag that reminded Falwell of a purse. This is a guy who once claimed that a good Christian should soap up the fixtures in the shower so you won't see yourself in the reflection. No kidding. Scary that Falwell, now safely underground, and people like him think they should guide our nation.

It wouldn't be much of a problem except you know these people are likely to sue anyone for 'corrupting the children' so everything has to get a warning label.

#114304 - 11/30/07 09:11 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: Art_in_FL]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I love the reaction of modern parents when I tell them that the best feature of the GI Joe male action figure (He was NOT a doll mad ) was the removable extremities to simulate injuries.

It's amazing that kids aren't allowed to actually play and use imagination these days. We used to jump off the roof of the house (1-story) when playing paratrooper. I'm glad that houses didn't come with Parental Warnings. We also used to play "gladiator" by taking a whiffle bat, wrapping it with duct tape and calling it a sword and used a metal garbage can lid as a shield. We'd then try to beat the stuffing out of each other during the remainder of the afternoon.

Sigh -- and I wonder why my wife rolls her eyes at these stories? blush

#114376 - 12/01/07 05:01 AM Re: say it ain't so [Re: BrianTexas]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
[quote]We also used to play "gladiator" by taking a whiffle bat, wrapping it with duct tape and calling it a sword and used a metal garbage can lid as a shield. We'd then try to beat the stuffing out of each other during the remainder of the afternoon.
[quote]

This is very similar to an event that happened here last year.

My teenage son had to instruct/demonstrate a sport in his Gym class and he picked "Gladiator Games" to compare them to modern games (boxing, wrestling, UFC, etc). So we went to the dollars store and bought 4 wire waste baskets, 4 foam swords and 4 different colours of duct tape. We forced the waste baskets into helmets, made cardboard vest type armour and modified Rubbermaid Tote lids to be shields. All of these items were boldly decorated with a colour of duct tape to identify the combatants (e.g. Red Diamond Gladiator). My son's speech on todays Gladiators went well but when he suited-up 4 of his classmates and held a competition the class got very involved. The teacher was crowned "Emperor" and ruled on who lived or died, depending on how well they participated. The event was a big success and my youngest daughter still pulls out the costumes about once a month to play with the neighbourhood kids.

Old time fun is not lost on todays youth, it just needs a little prompting to get the imagination working.

Mike

#114428 - 12/01/07 07:42 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: SwampDonkey]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:

They ought to put a big circle with a diagonal line on every image of Britney, Paris, Lindsay, Nicole...the list goes on and on. Yet the media keeps these fine examples of humanity stuffed in our faces 24/7.

Exactly

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.