Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114330 - 12/01/07 12:29 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: BrianTexas]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
[/quote]

Thanks for the question and thanks for serving Canada in Afghanistan. [/quote]

It is very nice of you to say this. Its funny, but I hear it more from Americans than Canadians. I have worked with, and fought next to some fine American soldiers( airborne sappers, members from 10 Mountain Div, and the 101st Airborne) I am in no rush to go back to that place, but when I do I look forward to chewing sand once again with some of the worlds finest. I have nothing but respect for the US troops.

#114336 - 12/01/07 01:01 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: redflare]
Taurus Offline
Addict

This is what became of my poor Spyderco while dressing a deer. (and NO, I wasn't using my knife to pry the deer open)lol

#114339 - 12/01/07 01:29 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier

This is what became of my poor Spyderco while dressing a deer. (and NO, I wasn't using my knife to pry the deer open)lol

Wow, I have never seen anything like this!

You should definitely talk to Spyderco.

#114357 - 12/01/07 03:10 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
tacticalight Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier

yikes, yea def talk to spyderco about that.

One idea for your prying needs would be one of these micro widgy bars from www.countycomm.com I have both sizes and they are great (i keep the smaller one on my keychain and just beat the living hell out of it prying open cases, packages, etc but it doesn't matter because the thing only costs $5) They also have a really beefy thing called the EOD breacher bar and some different sized prybars. Here are pictures:

Breacher Bar $12

Pry Bar set (comes with both) $10

Widgy $5

micro widgy (in top picture and compared to standard widgy in the bottom picture) $5

Its a bit of a pain having yet another thing to carry but they (the widgys) are pretty compact and lightweight and i would much rather wrench on them than use my knife

#114369 - 12/01/07 04:30 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wow, a bit thin.... *tosses over a bottle of witch hazel* Rub this into your skin, just not your face or anything... "sensitive".

It isn't that I don't like the question, it's been done to death. Check the archives- the answers haven't changed much in five years, and always ends up sounding like "my dog is bigger than your dog". Even my posts. The reason I gave those comparisons is because it is a personal selection- the only time I'd knock someone's choice in knife is if was scarily bad junk, a lady if I knew she wasn't what she seemed, or religion if they started showing up wearing a freshly severed gutted chicken as a watchcap and talking about killing everyone.

When someone says "ultimate", on a topic this variable, there is also a certain pattern- they are looking to prove their choice is the ONLY real choice and everyone else is wrong. My blades of choice are a Ka-Bar MkII, a LM Supertool, a couple of SAKs, and a ten dollar folding karambit. Each one has a role, and while I defend them all (except for the karambit- it's just a cardboard cutter and junky utility knife), I wouldn't tell anyone they are the ONLY choice out there. I did make an assumption based on how this has played out in the past, for that I apologize.

And by the way, as you are new, fair warning- I'm given to grand illustration. Chest beating over this, yes, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has broken a pool cue. Maybe a nail from overly energetic typing, or taking the spring out of a key, but that's it.

Edited by ironraven (12/01/07 04:37 AM)
Edit Reason: added the chicken hat- great image

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114371 - 12/01/07 04:39 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Get a little pry bar- your knife will thank you. A small one should slip into your gear easily enough.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114378 - 12/01/07 05:21 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: tacticalight]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I will admit, I am always on the prowl for good kit, but never have I seen something as neat as this in a while!! Bloody hell, I could come up with 100 uses for these things in the run of a single day! Although I honestly have NEVER broken a knife by prying with it(I have pried the wire up on hundreds of ammo crates with my Recon 1, and the only damage was to the finish) This is obviously the best tool for the job. Thanks a bunch, I will be placing an order for a bunch of these ASAP.

#114379 - 12/01/07 05:39 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: ironraven]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Hey listen.
When I first read you post last night I was already in a mood to chew nails after finding out that my kid had made a few calls on my cell phone, and the wife was grilling me because I bought the wrong type of Dammed Christmas lights. The "p@#sed off-o- meter" was pretty much full as I sat to read.(which is no excuse) Usually when off work I log on and go about my business, checking every so often to see what's new. When I first read your post I totally took it the wrong way I guess. You are right, the question was probably asked a bunch of times in the past but it was one of these burning questions that I just HAD to ask. If I resurrected a dead issue or old topic then it was not my intent. If I jumped to conclusions IRONRAVEN, then I owe you a sincere apology. Truly... Mac

#114380 - 12/01/07 06:01 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

*shakes your hand*

No biggy- I've been known to vent here becuase I couldn't turn the skull of the person who really deserved it into a bowling ball. smile And I can be a bit... oh, there are so many words, "abrasive" might be the safest.

You should go back and look at some of the heads I've bitten off at knee height.

#114381 - 12/01/07 06:05 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
LED Offline
Veteran

I second the Countycomm prybar recommendation. I've got the mini-prybar "pocket Widgy" and find it very useful and small enough to go everywhere. At $5 USD, its a cheap knife saver.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.