Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier

Just out of curiosity, some of you have said that a Wyoming saw is better and safer than a Gerber exchange-a-blade. I am not going to argue with anyone, as I am sure you have your reasons for saying this, but I would like to know why.

Firstly, its too flexible. If you are cutting something that is really tough, cold, sticky, etc and the blade is binding now and again, the saw is going to bend as you attempt to cut (increases risk of breakage and risk of slipping of your hand off the handle and into the blade). Also, the physics of the handle being along the same axis as the blade on folding saws means that you need a deathgrip on the thing to avoid slipping your hand forward onto the blade (if the blade is covered in any sort of fluid like sweat, blood from killed game, etc, and it binds on something while you are vigorously cutting, you could slip forward).

The wyoming saw, on the other hand, offers you much better push/pull leverage (with the handle almost perpendicular to the blade), Less chance of blade movement/flex (blade attached to frame which pulls the saw blade forward and back while the gerber saw only pulls the blade back and relies on the stiffness in the blade to push forward without bending off course), and your hand position within the saw assures you cant run your hand into the blade. Lastly, I like that you have the option to buy a hacksaw blade for the wyoming, and that the blades are less expensive.