Hi,

I have some experience with wire saws. The cheap ones with what look like electrical connectors on the ends are very poor quality and hardly work at all before they break (Coghlins brand). The best I have used so far are the 8 strand Commando type saws (Coghlins also sells these), they work better with wrist loops or with fist length T-sticks instead of the finger rings. Sap and binding are a big problem with green trees.

About a month ago I used a Commando wire saw to cut a 16" long, 2" diameter piece of maple to use as a handhold for dragging a deer out along a marsh. The saw did not want to cooperate and bound in the green wood when I was about 1/2 way through, my son had to grab the stem of the tree and bend it over to allow me to finish the cut. The next morning I had to drag a second deer out of the same location, this time I cut a similar stick with my Leatherman Wave saw with no trouble. The "Pocket Chainsaw" is a much superior product in a flexible saw, but not near as compact.

If I suspect I will need to saw something and want a fairly compact, efficent saw I normally bring my Bahco Laplander, it is a quality saw tool.

I EDC's a SAK with a saw for years and it is amazing what that little saw can cut, this is why I prefer the SAK Farmer over the Soldier (nothing personal C_S).

Mike