The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113316 - 11/23/07 09:01 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: ]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Sanyo is usually considered the best NiMH and NiCd battery maker. Eneloop is made by Sanyo. I too find the Sanyo cells are usually very near their rated capacity even at a 0.2C discharge rate.

The main problem with Alkaline batteries is that they can leak. I don't know how many $$$ devices I have had ruined by Alkaline batteries 1/100 the value of the device before I gave up and stopped using Alkelines altogether.

The other problem is that Alkaline batteries have a lower effective capacity than NiMH in all but the lowest-discharge applications. Even Eneloop has a higher capacity if the discharge rate is above 200 mA or so.

I now use Eneloop AA and AAA in anything that gets used at all, and Lithium AA and AAA for emergency or backup (ie, likely to last many years between changes).

The Maha MH-C9000 is probably the best AA and AAA charger available today; unfortunately it's priced like it too. But it seems able to consistently fully charge batteries as I am almost always able to get nearly the rated capacity on discharge after charging on the MH-C9000. Most other chargers seem somewhat hit or miss on when they stop for "battery full".

#113317 - 11/23/07 11:31 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I might have to take a second look at rechargeable. These sound like they might do some good.

My current strategy has been to avoid rechargeable. I have never been very impressed with them. Which sidesteps the whole problem of rotating them out of kits for recharging, self-discharge, potential memory, and finding myself in a tight spot with dead batteries.

I went with a combination of quality alkaline cells and lithium cells in a few critical locations. For my BOBs and kits every year I change out the alkaline that are installed and install the backup set. A new set becomes the backup.

The lithiums I have scheduled for a two year cycle but haven't had them long enough to cycle them yet. I have been told a three year cycle would be more reasonable, given their longevity, as long as the device they are in isn't defective. The time to change them is coming up in June. If they look strong I just may go to a three years rotation.

The used, but still good , batteries get used at work or in non-critical applications like the clocks and TV remotes.

Tip: Use a sharpie to mark on the battery the month/year they are installed. The manufacturers use-by dates are not very useful for batteries installed in devices.

I will have to look into low-self-discharge NiHM. thanks for the heads up.

#113336 - 11/23/07 05:08 PM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Art_in_FL]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Me too. Thank you guys for sharing your experience!

#113342 - 11/23/07 06:51 PM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is where I was a couple years ago. I had tried NiCad, rechargeable alkaline, NiMH and was disapointed with each.

These low self discharge are finally what rechargeabls should have been.
You alao need a good charger, I had spent $29 at walmart on what was supposed to be a good charger only to find out later that it rarely put more that 80% of a charge in. So I spent the $40 for a MAHA and its even recovered several of my older non low self discharge NiMH's.

I've found that LSD NiMH now last as long as alkailine within 6 months of being charged and just top all mine off at each season change or after use.

#113426 - 11/24/07 05:53 PM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Eugene]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Eugene, which MAHA model you've got?

#113429 - 11/24/07 06:49 PM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Alex]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the C401FS. I bought it for its small size and ability to run from 12v. I'll probably pick up one of their bigger ones as well. But the 401 is small enough to travel.

#115540 - 12/12/07 12:27 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Eugene]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I know I'm bringing back the dead here but yesterday I started going through ALL my batteries and testing them on my charger.

It was a good thing I did....the results were surprising. Batteries which I thought were still good were not. In once case a 2050mAh AA battery tested at less than 800mAh.

I also had some brand new 700mAh AAA batteries (cheap brand which came with the charger) test at less than 400 each.

I'm only 1/2 way through and so far only 8 batteries have tested to anywhere near their labeled capacity...I've tossed quite a few. I'm very tempted to suck it up and order all new cells online...get something I know is good quality like Enveloops.

#115546 - 12/12/07 01:14 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats why I gave up on rechargeables a few years ago. Between the self discharge and walmart quality chargers they never worked.
But I can now say that Eneloop and others like them do work, I'm feeling confident in the gear in my bob working when I pull it out now because every time I test it works.

#115553 - 12/12/07 01:49 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: Eugene]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Now that I do the math several of these batteries are VERY old so I guess it's time to upgrade...nothing lasts forever.

#115562 - 12/12/07 02:34 AM Re: Hybrid batteries by Rayovac [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've invested in Eneloops for my digital cameras and critical stuff, and a whole bunch of Rayovac Hybrids for everyday use. So far, six months and counting, I'm very pleased with both types.

In contrast, I invested in a whole bunch of Energizer 2500 NiMHs last year, and I think they're rubbish. If you charge them and use them immediately, they're functional; but leave them sit for a few days and they lose a lot of their charge. Some of them failed after only a few dozen charges. Apalling.

The Hybrids initially gave me a bit of trouble when installed in my AA MagLED. However, I cleaned the contacts on the batteries with a pencil eraser, and they've been perfect ever since.

No way am I going back to old-style NiMHs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 357 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.