Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#113245 - 11/22/07 12:17 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We've had a few incidents over the last 20 years where people have gone over an embankment and into water and died. Most recently (two years agao) a woman went off the road and into a creek and died from drowning, this was in a neighboring community, not in our response area. I don't know if in any of these cases a hammer device would have mattered, given the trauma of the fall in the first place.

Of the fatal wrecks I've worked, there have been all sorts of factors, but the number on thing I've seen is simply driving faster than the conditions permit. the worst kind of wreck, though, is the one where a knucklehead who is driving too fast kills someone who is driving safely. There's so many ways that this is bad I can' even begin to tell you.

The advice I give to young men is simple - dead guys don't get the girls. If you want to make it to the party, it's better to be late, and alive.

Now, as far as a res-q-me tool, I think that it's a nice idea, in concept, however, unless you affix it to your vehicle in a way that is incredibly secure, and you can remove it with one hand after a wreck (not always so easy) you won't be able to find the darn thing to use it. Anything tucked, velcroed or clipped WILL come off in a wreck at any speed over 15 MPH. We routinely find vehicle contents 75 and 100 yards away from wrecks (for example, on a fatal wreck I worked last year, we found the CD player that was in the guys car 65 feet down the road.

#113246 - 11/22/07 12:44 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Yeah - wrecks at > 15mph actual impact speed get UGLY, Fast. (Ouch bad pun, not intended).

Most people don't seem to realize, but that "screech" before the "Bang" tends to slow down the cars to a survivable level

Back when I was a kid, my parents lived about 50 yds from a BAD corner. In Queens, where I live (well, at least in that section of Queens), stop signs were on the North/South roads (Streets) and you had clear sailing on the east/west streets (Aves). It wasn't TOO bad on MOST Aves, because they were short and Narrow, so speeds didn't build up

Well, there were exceptions to this rule - the Ave that was 50 yds from my parents house was/is a semi Major Ave - it was the ONLY one that went through to the highway on the east, and to the industrial/highway on the west (except for the Blvd about 1/4 mile up which MOST traffic takes)

So, what we had was a stretch of fairly wide Ave with NO stop signs and NO traffic lights for about 3 miles - except for ONE - yep, on my parents corner! Due to the fact that the fire trucks and the like in our area used my parents street, the stop sign was on the Ave!

The HUGE problem was, the folks on the Ave tended to get up to about 40mph, and not even slow for the stop sign, not knowing it was there. It wasn't TOO bad when a car on the street it the side of someone coming up the Ave, but man, it got bad going the other way

We could tell how bad the accident was by sound. If you heard "screach, boom" it wasn't TOO bad - if you heard "screeeeeech, bang", you knew someone realized there was a stop sign ALMOST in time. The ones that went "BOOOM" with out the "screach" got a call to 911 before we even walked out of the house

We protested for traffic study after trafiic study - no joy. We AVERAGED 3-4 accidents/week on the corner, but still no traffic light. The week we had 3 fatal accidents in 2 days convinced the city to put in a light (when I was about 13). It was bad enough that the Tow truck companies used to park on our block!

Back onto topic - living on that corner is what made me realize that SERIOUS first aid kits were necessary. I don't doubt that Dad, the neighbors and myself saved 1 or 2 lives, and prevented some serious hospital time for others. (Mostly by preventing bleed out - something about penetrating trauma from car parts - I still shudder at some of it)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#113256 - 11/22/07 03:16 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Zechariah

#113263 - 11/22/07 04:14 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Art_in_FL]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Fortunately I'm less likely to need a hammer. My vehicle is one of the few with manual windows.

Keep in mind that it is not the failure or shorting out of electronics that keep people from rolling down their automatic windows after entry into the water. It is simply the pressure the water exerts onto the window surface. (Even if it is only a fraction of a pound per square inch, the window has many square inches!) This external pressure could effectively prevent you from manually cranking the window down as well. I believe this was shown on the MythBusters car dunking episode, but I cannot remember for sure. Either way, better to be safe than sorry. smile

#113302 - 11/23/07 02:12 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Added Res-Q-Me's to my truck key chain and also my wife's. Also have a Lifehammer in the console of my truck.

I got a three-pak of blue Res-Q-Mes from amazon.com, so I have one extra. I was thinking of putting it on my tractor key chain. No window, but I wear the lap belt as part of the rollover protection system, and if the tractor were to roll and I was hanging I could see where the buckle should get stuck and I might need to slice the lap belt to get out.

I could also use it to open envelopes while mowing ... just kidding. Of course the blade should be preserved for its intended purpose.

Ken K.

#113343 - 11/23/07 06:54 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our cars are both new enough to have safety glass in the side windows so it won't work for us.

#114442 - 12/01/07 08:38 PM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Eugene]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Related question -- where is the best place to put these, and method of attachment? I bought two of the brass window punches (didn't see the RES-Q-MEs until after order placed -- those would have been better) and put one in my center console top tray, and gave the other one to my wife, who put it in her (otherwise unused) ash tray. But I know if I need it, I won't be able to find it, or get to it. It would be better if it were secured in plain sight.

I was thinking of punching a small hole through the center of the seatbelt webbing, and Zip-tying it there. Then I thought -- 1. I'd get smacked with it in the trauma of the collision, and 2. Unless I left the wrap-tie long enough, I probably wouldn't be able to remove it quickly enough.

So where do you put it, and how do you secure it so you can remove it when needed, but the kinetic force of the collision won't dislodge it and turn it into a missile?

#114471 - 12/02/07 01:44 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: KenK]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: KenK
I was thinking of putting it on my tractor key chain. No window, but I wear the lap belt as part of the rollover protection system, and if the tractor were to roll and I was hanging I could see where the buckle should get stuck and I might need to slice the lap belt to get out.

Ken K.

That's a good idea, haven't rolled my ride yet. But i have managed to lift a rear tire once or twice while using the FEL.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 487 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.