Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113205 - 11/22/07 12:05 AM Something everyone should have in their car
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Life hammer. How many people here have one?

http://www.lifehammer.com/

My Major fear is a car accident. Every time I drive on MA highways I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands, people don't pay attention, to busy talking on their cell phones. eek

Opinions?

#113211 - 11/22/07 12:37 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I carry both a life hammer as well as a Res-Q-Me on my belt ring.

Your not alone, and its not limited to your state. I guess all you can do it try to think ahead. Don't get boxed in if you can help it, and keep your eyes moving, to many people are either looking straight ahead or at something in the car. No one pays attention anymore. I'm always looking ahead, left, right and to the rear. Carry either your life hammer or a Res-Q-Me, a cell phone and emergency supplies and a good luck charm. We don't have any control over another drivers actions, all we can do is try to anticipate what their going to do and act accordingly, and then that doesn't always work because sometimes they don't know what their going to do. People signal left then turn right, pull out in front of you when your going 55 and they go 20 then turn 50 feet after pulling in front of you. So you have to try to stay one step ahead of them if thats possible. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/22/07 12:38 AM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#113212 - 11/22/07 12:39 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I keep one in every car and somewhere where it could be found immediately. That's one thing you don't want in the trunk or buried in a BOB.

So, will you remember to roll down the windows as your car plummets towards the icy river? I'll be too busy screaming for my mommy...

#113215 - 11/22/07 12:46 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
I carry both a life hammer as well as a Res-Q-Me on my belt ring.

Your not alone, and its not limited to your state. I guess all you can do it try to think ahead. Don't get boxed in if you can help it, and keep your eyes moving, to many people are either looking straight ahead or at something in the car. No one pays attention anymore. I'm always looking ahead, left, right and to the rear. Carry either your life hammer or a Res-Q-Me, a cell phone and emergency supplies and a good luck charm. We don't have any control over another drivers actions, all we can do is try to anticipate what their going to do and act accordingly, and then that doesn't always work because sometimes they don't know what their going to do. People signal left then turn right, pull out in front of you when your going 55 and they go 20 then turn 50 feet after pulling in front of you. So you have to try to stay one step ahead of them if thats possible. Just my 2 cents.

Words to LIVE by.

#113217 - 11/22/07 12:53 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
I don't have one, though I have looked at them many times. However I don't have a vehicle or drive yet frown but when I do I think I will get one as driving is statistically the most dangerous thing I do even right now when I don't drive myself. I did see that my father picked one up recently and has it in the truck!
I'm just below you in CT and my parents say that the other divers just keep getting worse and worse. Especially over by NYC.

Thanks, to all.

#113219 - 11/22/07 01:20 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: ZechariahStover]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

When you do learn to drive, focus, don't be distracted by ANYTHING, texting, talking, staring at hot chicks walking down the road, staring at hot chicks driving next to you...OH to be young and single again!! Anyway the most important thing that you will learn is to watch out for others. (refer to above)

#113226 - 11/22/07 03:13 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Blitz]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I've got something a lot like the Res-Q-Me, I forget what it's called though, but it has the window punch and the cutter, as well as two LED lights and a loud beeping alarm. I've also got a Gerber Hinderer Rescue knife I've stashed in the stow box between the front seats. Those items, but along with some others, make me VERY comfortable driving to and from work...

#113227 - 11/22/07 03:38 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: Shadow_oo00]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Well said Shadow_oo00,

I just put a Res-Q-Me in my work truck yesterday (I now just need to put them in my own vehicles, my bad).

Mike

#113231 - 11/22/07 04:15 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: SwampDonkey]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Fortunately I'm less likely to need a hammer. My vehicle is one of the few with manual windows. I wear a knife I can get to in the extremely rare case the seatbelt jams. I took a course on how to escape a vehicle in water. They had a nice simulator.

In some ways it is better to simply roll down the window than trying to break it. Less dramatic and heroic but better. Break the window with the water higher on the outside and that water, and glass, is coming in rather quickly. The impact can be remarkably strong and it can easily wash you well away from your escape route. Tumbling and disorienting you when it does. Pop the windshield and you may end up head-down in the back seat. It also stirs up everything in the vehicle. Greatly increasing the odds of your getting entangled.

Mats, seat belts and all that gear and trash you have behind and under the seat can be expected to be floating around. Speed-hooks on boots, the knife holster on your belt and other things you wouldn't immediately expect can seem to reach out and grab stuff.

If you do pop a window be sure to hang on and brace for the oncoming flood.

A window being rolled down is, even if the water level is unequal, far less traumatic.

#113232 - 11/22/07 04:17 AM Re: Something everyone should have in their car [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I ordered a bunch of these to stick in all our vehicles and to give out for x-mas:

Benchmade ERT-1. Bright yellow color (or black), Glass breaker, water resistant LED light, seat belt cutter, and pocket/visor clip. Not bad for about $30 on the net.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.