Hello to all,this is my first post.

In reguards to kidnapping's have any of you read "Two Wheels Through Terror, Diary of a South American Motorcycle Odessey" by Glen Heggstad?

I have never met Mister Heggstad, but have met one of his old martial arts sparring partners, and have it on good authority Heggstad can quite easily handel himself. I mean read the book the guy went to South America on a motorcycle by himself. He had no firearms and was facing dozens of armed men with AK-47s, who just happen to fund their terrorist venturse by kidnapping Americans for ransom. (The only reason(2) I mention this book is it involved a kidnapping, and liked the book.)

I think kiddnaping in the United States happens to two types of people, both having the same motivation, MONEY. Group "A" consists of high profile or weathy individuals, and group "B" drug dealers and organized gang members. The majority of these I have read about are ambush style snatches on the way to a car not from a moving vehicle car. At least as far as I can remember.

So, with that out of the way I will go through hypothetical "what if" responses to armed motorcycleists attempting to stop a vehicle. I know DOGOFWAR said he saw this event being trained for. Was this to train the agressors/kiddnaper, or to train persons performing boduguard work?

I ride a motorcycle every day, and know how easy it is for a motorycycle to be taken out by a four wheeled vehicle from first hand experience.

This scenario would fall under a self-defense situation, and if you are afraid of anyone surrounding you while on the road use your mirrors more and check your blind spots even more just so you can swerve if stuff, lets say, comes flying out of a pickup truck bed and into your path. You/me should not be so off inour own world we do not notice an overloaded truck bed that is not tied down as it passes us while driving. If you are that off in your own world pleas stay off the road, I know I pull off the road when my awarenessof my surroundings starts to fade.

SO, THE POINT OF THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH IS 2 PEOPLE ON A MOTORCYCLE (or 4 motorcycles with 2 riders each, who may or may not be concealing a firearm [not concealed means rifle large enough to make out in the mirror before they get close]) THEORETICALLY DONT "APPEAR OUT OF NOWHEAR".

You/I see someone with a weapon, the reaction must be immediate (i.e. fight or flight.) Nutralize the weapon or find cover. I belive law enforcement calls it "VEHICULAR MAnSLAUTER" use your car as a weapon. Or, use evasive driving tactics as you speed away (this part is the "you gotta learn for yourself kind of thing" )know when flight/finding cover is not working and fight back, hopping for a blind corner you can ambush your attackers with your car/truck. If suspicious persons do pursue you ditch them using any loss of sight to make a direction change. In reality focus on breating it helps reduce the HUGE Adreniline response, allows for more intellectual functions of the brain, i.e. rational thought, as opposed to pure animal insticts. Superhuman strength does not help when cornering at high speed, it helps in hand-to-hand combatand and when saving loved ones.

Lastly,
You can look into bullet resistant up grades for windows. I would reccomend windows for cost effectiveness along with bullet resistant panels for engine compartment. Discovery chanel had a special on a while back about the subject of armoring your vihicle for personal safty, I forget exactly what the title was.
In theory most people will not shoot through a car door to hit a driver they try to shoot through the windows to hit the driver/target, unless a pro assassin is after you(this is off topic so I will not go into being stalked by super-smart assasins). Funny that most gangbangers shoot through rolled down windows during driveby's.

These are just some hypothetical what if responses to the original post. Thank you for leting me ramble.

Edited by Joseph13 (11/20/07 06:23 AM)