Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113015 - 11/20/07 12:31 AM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: Andy]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

My commute (4.5 miles each way) can take as little as 20 minutes if I ride my bike. When I walk it takes 65-70 minutes so it can be a long commute relatively speaking when compared to driving a car.

#113026 - 11/20/07 01:50 AM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I lived 2.5 miles from work for 17 years. Then the dotcom music stopped. Now I drive past the old place and keep on going another 46 miles. I'm one of the lucky employed ones.

Terrible waste of time and money to have to go that far.

Unemployment, retirement or moving are not options.

Police scanner for situational awareness (of accidents, road debris, weather issues). CD player for lectures.

Bug out kit in the trunk in case I have to walk home. (it would take awhile)

I get to practice my emergency management skills making decisions about when to head home. Last xmas I left work at 10 AM (after being there 3 hrs). The interstate closed 5 minutes behind me when the final semi couldn't climb a gentle hill and totally blocked the road for 3 days.
My office-mate left an hour later than I did, went a different direction and wound up stranded in his car and was taken to shelter for the night by the police along with all the other strandees.

Unimogbert

#113042 - 11/20/07 02:52 AM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Longest commute I ever had was about 65 miles, one way. But I know of a lot of people who drive from central CA for two hours, then park, get on BART, ride into the SF area, then fight for a cab to their offices. Must add up to at least three plus hours each way, and all bets are off in the winter, when the tule fog comes in. Retirement is sooooo great!!!

#113044 - 11/20/07 03:33 AM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've faced it in the past, but that is because what is for me "home base" is 60-100 miles from any decent gigs for me. However, it is an ASAP to move- when you factor in the loss of free time, fuel and the wear and tear on your vehicle, it pays for itself.

However, I generally suggest renting before buying.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113061 - 11/20/07 11:28 AM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: picard120]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: picard120
Originally Posted By: Kris
I had a contract for a year (living in Canada working in Indiana), an it was a 3 hour commute one way. After a month or so, I gave up and made a deal with the client. I work there 4 days during the week working 12+ hours a day and I'll stay in a hotel. Then I got a 3 day weekend every week.

Not a bad gig and was working out well. But stuff happened (i.e. 9/11, USD dollar loosing strength, etc) which made it not an ideal situation any more.

I liked it much better then working in Detroit (across the river from where I was living). Downtown Detroit never bothered me (in terms of safety), but it was the fact you couldn't have a have decent vehicle. The pot holes caused so much damage to my car!!!!!

But for the most part of my career, i've averaged 1-1.5 hours for a commute one way.

Now, I can get to work in the time of playing two 80's big hair rock songs. Also helps to leave before 7am (in island time thats early).

Kris

how did you obtain work visa in the US? I want to work contract in US but I don't know the rules.

Can you explain it to me?

I'll send you a PM and we can talk off line.

Kris

#113074 - 11/20/07 01:56 PM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: picard120]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Currently driving 28-32 miles, ~45 to ~55 minutes (one way) 5X week, ~70% to 80% highways for the last 9 years. Due to advantageous local traffic patterns, I take a different route going to work than going home. At first, the travel times were averaging 30 to 35 minutes each way, alas however things change and added in the interim years have been two new schools and school zones, multiple shopping centers, ten (or more) traffic lights, and the residential growth in south Florida has been outrageous.

Stopped taking the direct 28 mile route about four years ago and found longer route to be faster. However I still can't get around the remaining 20 traffic lights and one new school zone. Ugggh. Spend the travel time mostly listening to motivational / educational CD's, or simply in silence listening to my own thoughts w/o interruption for a change.

Home location probably will not change until retirement to take advantage of increased real estate values and the commute does allow me time to mentally "wind up" and "wind down" each day. Work location likewise, hmmm...I really enjoy my job (actually look forward to going to work and returning to the home each day). At the moment, I anticipate retiring from this employer when the time comes.

Am prepared with BOB (kept in vehicle) for ~3 to 4 days (however I doubt, and sincerely hope that I never need to go there). When the superbowl was in south Florida the last two times, travel times were in the range of 2+ hours due to heavy localized event traffic. There have been the intermittent 1-2 hour delays due to accidents on limited access highways, these were handled with aplomb due to preparedness mindset, onboard books, food and water. It felt so good to be sitting there relaxing while others around were at a loss as to what to do besides work on their next coronary.

To some, my commute may seem a lot, however after working out of a service truck (eight years for my old boss and then fifteen years with my own company) where I would literally leave at "o dark thirty" and many times not come back until 10 PM, I'm now averaging about 45-55 hours office work time per week (becomes more like 90+ when the hurricanes visit) and I really feel like I'm playing hooky.

The past history of 40k to 60k miles a year average driving a service truck five and six days per week, plus doing the construction trade related service work was rough. Wouldn't give up the experience of having done it, but certainly would not want to have to repeat it either.

Regards,
Comanche7

#113080 - 11/20/07 02:46 PM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: picard120]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I have a 3 km commute to my office or 4 km commute to where my work vehicle is stored. The area I service is large with much of it being remote, but all travel to the worksite (truck, boat, ATV, snowmobile, aircraft) is on paid time in/on the employers vehicle.

My DW and I both grew up in small towns and decided to raise our kids in the same enviroment; housing is cheaper, life is relaxed and we get to live closer to the outdoors which we enjoy.

My longest commute to a job was about 10 minutes when we used to live in a small house in the bush at the end of a dead-end road. I loved it but my wife hated living in the country, so during our next move we bought a house on the edge of town.

Mike

#113082 - 11/20/07 03:06 PM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: SwampDonkey]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

I live a comfortable 20 miles from work. I travel outside the rush hour times so my travel is under a half hour each way.

I couldn't afford a place closer that had 1/4 the amenities, room, quality of live, nor lifestyle that is closer. I live in a little farming community outside the reach of mass transit and crime is unheard of, the air smells fresh and clean, and the night is filled with the sounds of frogs not traffic.

#113094 - 11/20/07 06:52 PM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: OutdoorDad]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
12 miles/20 min for me. Not bad at all. My last commute was great...15 min through the local metroparks.

#113503 - 11/25/07 04:33 PM Re: Do you guys commute long distance to work? [Re: el_diabl0]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I used to have a half-hour commute, but that was far too long. I moved house to about 2.5 miles from where I work.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 631 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.