Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#111671 - 11/06/07 04:44 PM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I too totally missed the Ramboism thread but find it interesting to read. Like most I've already made up my mind to bug in, and like some I've pre-decided to make myself useful in whatever situation arises. If that means splinting fractures and dealing with dead neighbors for 4-12 days after a bad quake, or planting what passes for a winter crop in the Pacific Northwest for mutual sustenance after something much bigger, so be it. I have roots where I am, an extended and talented family, some steady friends, a support system beyond any BOB, remote cabin or food cache. Either way or in between, we will do it together, here. I do have family I could flee to 2 hours, 24 hours and 72 hours away, but mostly that's for a pre-disaster decision, and I wouldn't expect their situation would be much better than mine. But generally, I will probably be on the last jeep (or litter) out of my neighborhood, because this is where I live, and all things being equal it affords me and my family the best chances of long term survival.

fwiw my sunny optimism is bouyed by my parent's experiences on the home front in WWII - stories of victory gardens, rations, and other pre-adolescent, non-combat memories (except for Uncle John, KIA in the Pacific, and Uncle Gerry, fought in Europe). More than anything, the ability of people to recognize that they really are All In It Together (TM), and to get through it they had better work together. I do believe in the angels of our better nature.

#111808 - 11/07/07 07:17 AM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: Susan]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Where I live on the north coast of CA, there is a chance of earthquakes, but that would not require bugging out here, as the infrastructure is small and they are not very frequent or severe.
Wildfire is not a threat either since everything is wet most of the year and the vegetation is Redwood trees.
We are not near any nuclear targets (just thinking outside of the box) and the only fallout we would be downwind of anyways would have to come from overseas, though maybe from Alaska. There are no nearby volcanoes, so I won't have to acquire a taste for that kind of hotsauce.
Overall, we're pretty safe. Our only real danger is tsunami, which could happen at any time, and which could wipe the entire city off the map in no time!

#111838 - 11/07/07 03:18 PM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: Susan]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
As fun as it is to plan for a longer-term bug out situation, I would probably be like the majority of folks here and just bug in. Beyond that would be traveling to another local area to stay with relatives or friends and pool resources.

My realistic concerns are something along the lines of a hazmat incident (trail derailment, fuel tanker truck explosion, etc.), low level flooding, the possibility of earthquakes, and a wildfire sweeping through the rural areas, severe winter storm, etc.

All-out nuclear war or a large scale terrorist attack are something to daydream about, but aren't very likely in my area. Not saying that it can't happen, but accidents and natural disasters are much more likely.

So there's a range of time involved:

Hazmat incident = Prefer to shelter in place. If not an option; go NOW, uphill, upwind, upstream. Grab your BOB and head out.

Natural disaster = Same thing, shelter in place. If evacuation makes more sense grab your BOB, some additional supplies, and head out.

Terrorism or WW III = Most likely the same response as above, but with more emphasis on personal safety and protection.

#112630 - 11/15/07 06:27 PM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: Susan]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Enlightening as usual Sue.

But now excuse me while I go cry into my pillow.

#112643 - 11/15/07 08:13 PM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: Susan]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
One thing that everyone is agreed on that bug out is a LAST resort.
That being said, it beats dying in. Sometimes a place becomes untenable, but often only temporarily.
Many crisis situations eventually reduce down to only tragedies.

People are capable of things unimagined when life demands it.
One of the many things I learned in the military was you can do a lot MORE than you think you can.

In the "Deep Survival" book will to live is given an essential place in determining the likely hood that a person is going to make it. Skills are an edge, but will has no substitute.

I personally think the survival instinct exist in all of us, but has been largely suppressed by a society that prefers PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..
Most of the people here are looking for all the edges (intangibles and skills) possible.

One of the things most infuriating to me is the perception that to be civilized is to be helpless. (OMG he/she has a knife, Why on earth does any one carry something like that when they have the American express card ?).

Like so many other post here my own plans are in steps from EDC to full scale bug in or out.
I hope that the day never comes but if it does at least I'm equipped right.

Don't forget the option to re-occupy the homestead does sometimes exist too.

Yes Susan has outlined a number of concerns that are valid, but
in 6 years of the US ARMY, a half dozen hurricanes a number of trips to South and Central America, have shown me that you can do a lot of things that seem impossible.
And no I hope I never have to do them again, but it beats being dead.

#112996 - 11/19/07 10:25 PM Re: Bugging Out - What's Your Real Deal? [Re: MarshAviator]
ira37 Offline
Stranger

I have bug out plans, simply because I live in a burb near a major city.

A long term situation I would have to eventually go because I doubt I could defend what I have, where I am for very long.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.