Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112831 - 11/18/07 05:18 PM My Gear Repair Kit
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If you haven't noticed by now I like kits...so every time I rebuild one of my kits I'm going to take a picture and post it here...the collective knowledge on this forum is so amazing that it would be a shame not to share my kit obsession and at the same time miss out on an opportunity to get tips and pointers from everybody here.

Today I streamlined my 'gear repair' kit. I never used to carry this one until a backpack strap gave way while I was riding my motorcycle. It's a good thing I was wearing the waist belt or I'd have needed one of my other kits! After I pulled over I was left with three options: leave my pack in the ditch and come back for it (not really an option), ride home as is (very not safe) or put it in my lap and ride VERY slowly (also not safe). I ended up riding home very slowly with one hand on the bars and one hand on the loose strap. Not long after that I bought an AMK gear repair kit and it grew into what you see here.

It's come in handy countless times while camping and hiking...though much more often to bail friends and strangers out than myself.

The kit is in a blue pencil case (I have 3 such cases in different colours so I can find them in my stuff sack quickly)...starting from approximate left to right:
  • Assorted buttons in a baggie
  • 3 Meters brass snare wire (it's not just good for catching rabbits!)
  • Roll of Duct Tape
  • Roll of McNett Clean Tape (I put some of the smaller items into the tape tube to conserve space)
  • Jig Saw blade
  • Container of safety and straight pins
  • 2 alcohol swabs
  • Blue glue stick (for bulk repairs)
  • Craft glue stick (for flexible repairs...amazing on an air mattress)
  • 3 sizes pole repair sleeves
  • spool of blue thread
  • spool of green thread
  • Length of shock cord
  • Former Coghlans tent repair kit bag with assorted patches and netting both sew and stick on. Also contains sewing needles and sand paper.
  • Small tube Seam Grip
  • Assorted replacement plastic bits. (Just typical backpack stuff for now but I may add more later)
  • Smith's diamond sharpening steel (a dull knife is broken gear IMO)
  • Assorted zip ties (I'm a bit low in the picture as I needed some recently)
  • Length of webbing
  • Mini Bic (for melting nylon cord/rope and glue sticks)

The kit is certainly full but it doesn't weigh very much as most of this stuff is plastic. I like the fact that it's a kit because I can toss it into my soft motorcycle luggage if I'm using that instead of my backpack.

#112834 - 11/18/07 05:39 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
How about a back-up knife?

Why the alcohol-pads?

How about including a large piece of velcro, sew the loop and hook back-sides to eachother. That way you can secure almost everything.

#112836 - 11/18/07 05:49 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: JIM]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: JIM
How about a back-up knife?

Why the alcohol-pads?

How about including a large piece of velcro, sew the loop and hook back-sides to eachother. That way you can secure almost everything.

A 'backup knife' is something I've considered. I've skipped on it here because of a lack of space, and I find that using a knife for gear repair can be dangerous...and I have plenty of backup knives already (I carry 2 to 4 already not counting kit backups).

I would consider adding a small SAK though...something with an awl and scissors would be ideal. I pretty much exclusively use my Victorinox Cybertool for gear repair tasks.

The alcohol pads are for surface prep before using any glue or seam sealer...make sure I only have to repair something once.

UPDATE: I just came across some single use (0.5mL per tube) Krazy Glue in a kitchen drawer and I've added 2 tubes to the kit.

#112838 - 11/18/07 05:58 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Kit Hacksaw!

My repair stuff is scattered in many locations and your idea of assembling it in a kit is a good one, another job for me during the slow times this winter (I should start a list).

Possibly additions depending on space and weight restrictions.

-I have used 5 minute 2-part epoxy and J-B weld in the field before, it may be a worthwhile inclusion in a kit of this type (I once J-B Welded a sparkplug into a lawnmower motor, if you flooded it while starting you had to go have a beer because you could not remove the plug to dry it out, it held for over a year).
-How about a thin diameter drill bit and improvised holder to make holes in things.
-Being a bit of a knife guy; a small blade, SAK or multitool would be a good addition but you proabally have one on your belt already.
-Maybe a piece of hacksaw blade to cut metal, perhaps a small file?
-A few assorted size nails and screws would be handy.
-I have sewed heavy pack straps before and needed an awl and thimble to do the job.

What kind of thread are you including in the kit?

Good post, you really got me thinking.

Thanks,

Mike

#112841 - 11/18/07 06:07 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
Flynn Offline
Stranger

Glues(Plural), even a meltable glue stick, shoe goo, sewing kit, zipper repair kit, buttons, industrial velcro, some split ring/key chain rings, a very large safety pin or blanket pit.

I find myself using my little repair kit more than anything else.

#112842 - 11/18/07 06:13 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've used epoxy in the garage plenty of times but it's something I'd consider too messy to make a repair with in the field. Same with the drill bit...to much fuss. If I need to make a hole I use the awl on my SAK...it's a bit brutal but it gets the job done.

The jig saw blade is very similar to a hacksaw blade only smaller and to be honest I've never needed it but I don't have a metal saw on any of my multi tools so it's just some extra insurance.

If I need to sew something heavy I use the large needle and feed it using the pliers on my multi tool or SAK. The thread is from the Coghlans tent repair kit. I also keep a small bobbin of black thread in my pocket kit (from the original AMK gear repair kit). For when I need more strength I use fishing line (From where? That's right from the fishing kit...I'll post that one as soon as my order comes in from Best Glide Aviation).

The theory behind the kit is similar to a first aid kit. Keep the gear alive until you can get it home and fix it properly or replace it. This keeps me from going overboard...something I'm prone to doing with such things.

#112844 - 11/18/07 06:23 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
A small roll of emory cloth (plumbing supplies), to smooth edges after or during a repair.

#112858 - 11/18/07 09:43 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Hacksaw,

I hear you about the going overboard on equipment problem, my kits are always overfilled with stuff I will proabally never use.

Mike

#112865 - 11/18/07 11:46 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

• Assorted zip ties (I'm a bit low in the picture as I needed some recently)

I can't believe how many things I have fixed with various zip ties over the years. I probably overload on them, but, I have them tucked away in virtually every pack and kit I have.

In addition to carrying varied lengths, you can find some with molded holes on one end. They were designed to be able to put a screw through the hole and fasten a bundle of wires to a bulkhead or something, but, they are also great for a bunch of other repairs.

Zip ties almost rival duct tape, but, of course you can't make a wallet out of zip ties. crazy

- Ron

#112866 - 11/18/07 11:46 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: raydarkhorse]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice kit!
A couple of tips from me:

I've got 3 pole repair sleeves in the REI tent repair kit too. I've found that if I'll sharpen one edge with a file, I can use them as decent hole punchers (so, they are not a dead weight anymore wink ).

Add a medium size syringe needle to the sewing kit. It's extremely convenient for guiding of the sewing needle from an opposite side when repairing heavy duty fabrics, especially a heavy leather shoes, when you can not see what you are doing inside. It's better to dull its sharp point a little bit.

Edited by Alex (11/18/07 11:51 PM)

#112902 - 11/19/07 02:50 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like it. Couple things I saw missing:

Super glue
Sand paper (for roughing stuff up)
STOUT thread, like fine braided fishline or #69 nylon
Precision screw drivers (I like the kind that fit into a pin vise)
Pin drills (cleaning ports, boring fine holes before using wire to hold stuff together)

I am assuming you are carrying a multitool already.

Other than that, it looks pretty good once you restock your zip ties. Were did you find the SlickClips? I've been looking for them for months.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112905 - 11/19/07 03:00 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I do have Krazy glue (I added it after I made the post...it's in this thread somewhere.

Sand paper is in the baggie of patches.

I use fishing line instead of 'stout' thread

I don't need pin drills...too complicated.

And you're right. I normally carry Either a Victorinox Cybertool 34 or a Gerber 600 Multipliers...or both. The SAK has a precision screw driver and a multibit screw driver with bits built in...awesome tool.

#112922 - 11/19/07 04:28 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I needed to repair a strap on a military backpack I was using. I had good sewing needles (mostly large)and carpet thread. But trying to push the needle through the strap was pretty tough without aid from a multitool. I finally used the awl to puncture a few small holes through to make the job quicker and easier.

#112992 - 11/19/07 09:54 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: NightHiker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nighthiker,

I bought a Speedy Sticher last spring but have not used it yet; do you have any idea how well it would work to re-attach leather straps to a canvas pack?

Thanks,

Mike

#112995 - 11/19/07 10:22 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
I have a couple of speedy's in my kits.
It is really easy to use but you have to practice.
The working end has to be pulled tight against the payout end to lock the stitch.
You get a couple of needles in the handle, while it's a little course the lock stitch is suitable for strength, but can look a little crude.
The spool includes a fair amount of waxed thread.
The alternative is a sail makers palm found in marine shops,
which of course is in my big kit
Also you can find nylon thread which last forever and doesn't rot.

#113007 - 11/19/07 11:53 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Should work OK. Depending on the thickness of the canvas, you might want to put some thin leather backing inside of the pack, then stitch thru all three layers...

#113011 - 11/20/07 12:15 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
[quote=JIM]A 'backup knife' is something I've considered. I've skipped on it here because of a lack of space...

Perhaps a #22 scalpel blade (like those included in Doug's PSK's) would be in order?

Very nice kit regardless.

Jim

#113032 - 11/20/07 02:15 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Paragon
A 'backup knife' is something I've considered. I've skipped on it here because of a lack of space...

Perhaps a #22 scalpel blade (like those included in Doug's PSK's) would be in order?

Very nice kit regardless.

Jim

Personally I would never use a scalpel blade by itself for anything. They're not designed to be used that way...it's like shaving with just a double edged razor blade between your fingers...sooner or later you're going to get cut. If you have NOTHING else then I guess it might be worth the risk. I'm rarely without a multitool and even more rarely (as in never) without a knife of some kind. The gear repair kit lives in my pack and my Gerber LMF II lives lashed to the pack...It's extremely unlikely I won't have a sharp should I need the kit...knock wood wink

#113052 - 11/20/07 04:56 AM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: ]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
For any kind of nylon webbing repair, sharp scissors are a must. Yeah, you can use a knife in a pinch, but nothing beats a pair of scissors when working with webbing.

Aside from that, the only thing I can think of is - MORE DUCT TAPE.

#113110 - 11/20/07 10:06 PM Re: My Gear Repair Kit [Re: NightHiker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Goodevening Jim,

I pulled the lower shoulder strap attachment point out of a Woods canvas "Nessmuck or Mason" type pack while deer hunting last fall, I did a quick fix in the bush with paracord but forgot to properly fix it before this years hunt; so I used a different pack this year.

I am going to use OBG's idea of putting a thin piece of leather behind the canvas and sew through all 3 layers (strap leather, canvas, thin leather); another winter project, the list is getting longer.

Thanks,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 597 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.