Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#113031 - 11/20/07 02:15 AM Re: Bad news. I have jury duty. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It is something of a sad fact that many people have great decisions that will change their lives made largely by people too dim to get out of jury duty.

It isn't very hard. Tell the judge that you think police are whit knights and invariably right and correct in their judgments. That anyone accused of a crime by a policeman is obviously a crook who deserves the worse punishment the state can met out.

Equally easy to play it the other way.

LEOs are scum who couldn't hold down an honest job or make it as a self-respecting criminal. So they hide behind a gun, badge and attitude and get to play the self-righteous bully who trades threats for all the coffee and doughnuts they can consume. Anyone accused by the state is obviously just an honest citizen who made the mistake of not kissing a LEO's rump.

Either way expressing a intractable bias for or against the law pretty much makes sure you aren't going to be on any jury. It is both simple and easy to get out of jury duty.

That said I have always served when called. I found the exposure to the legal process to be informative and often entertaining. It is also my civic duty. Part of being in a nation of laws and having the right to have guilt or innocence determined by a jury.

Any one of us could be accused of a crime. Just be in the wrong place and time. I don't want to be judged only by those too stupid not to know how get out of it or, ironically, too contemptuous of their civic duty to want to think it right that they should.

IMO you live in a society and owe it at least a nominal compliance to its rules and ideals. Pay taxes, do your duty in service and jury, have an understanding of and participate in the debates of the day, and vote.

#113040 - 11/20/07 02:42 AM Re: Bad news. I have jury duty. [Re: Onedzguy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never been on a jury, and with my background, back back, and shot ears, probably never will. But I have been in more witness stands than I care to remember, and looked many a jurer in the eyes as I testified. I always tried to keep my testimony simple, but I could tell that I was still talking waaayyyy over the head of many of them. So much that more than once I actually felt sorry for the defendant, thinking that the poor sob had his fate in the hands of idiots. We need some "real" people on juries. And then there is that civic duty part...

#113045 - 11/20/07 03:35 AM Re: Bad news. I have jury duty. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*laughs*

That is what happens when I get cranky. I come out with some really profound, if slightly irrate, stuff. The public speaking courses and debate club come in handy some times.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 769 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.