Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#11214 - 12/12/02 03:28 AM Dull Wire Cutters
Hutch66 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
My trusty leatherman sideclip is showing it's age. I've had it four or five years now and the wire cutters that could once cut paper now only leave dents. They'll still work, just with considerably more effort. My question is, does anyone know how to sharpen the wire cutters? Or should I just throw this one in my backpack and upgrade to a Wave for EDC? Thanks in advance for all help.

Chris.

#11215 - 12/12/02 12:06 PM Re: Dull Wire Cutters
Anonymous
Unregistered

If someone can tell you how to sharpen it great but I don't know how either. I have a leatherman wave and I think it's great. All the blade are on the outside so you don't have to open it to get to the blades, saw, or file. I think you should pack the old one and buy a wave.

Frank

#11216 - 12/12/02 02:34 PM Re: Dull Wire Cutters
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have an original Leatherman, probably 20 or more years old. Bought it when they first came out. I have sharpened the cutters many times with a small hard arkansas stone. Just work the bevel. If you have abused it so bad that there are bumps that prevent it closing correctly, then you may need to work the flat "vertical" surfaces to remove the bumps. Keep work on the vertical surfaces to an absolute minimum.

I bough a wave and found it too heavy for EDC and have gone back to my "original" Leatherman. Wave now lives in my "batman" belt. Squirt P4 in PSK.

#11217 - 12/15/02 04:14 AM Re: Dull Wire Cutters
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hutch66,

FWIW, after having my Superleatherman Tool for several years, I managed to break the small screwdriver.

It was absolutely my fault.

That said, I emailed Leatherman asking about how much it would cost to have them replace the blade. They said to send in in and they would look at it and talke to me. I did, and a week later, I got an email that said the knife had been repaired and was being sent back.

Talk about SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! I broke the tool, and wanted to pay for the repair, as I felt it did not really fall under their warranty, they elected to repair it at no cost to me. Their staff was very friendly, communicative (had several email back and forth) and really made my day.

As far as I'm concerned, they are great, and I've made a point of buying more of their products when the need arose.

To make a long storyshort, give them an email or call, and see about sending yours in for some TLC.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 721 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.