Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111696 - 11/06/07 06:21 PM Convert old flashlight to LED?
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I just recently found out that Nite Ize makes an LED replacement bulb for C and D size flashlights. Looks like a good upgrade for my 4D cell Mag-Lite. I had seen other LED replacements previously, but they were expensive. Interestingly, it just says Mag-Lite . I would love to use it in my old US Army issue flashlight. I wonder why it only says Mag-Lite? Does Mag-Lite use a unique bulb size/voltage?

QUESTION: Does anyone know of smaller LED replacement bulbs? I have an old headlamp that I keep in my desk at work that uses a 4.5V incandescent bulb. Would be great to swap that out for an LED bulb. Can anyone direct me to a good website or ?

I'm not sure if this is a unique Petzl made bulb or a standard bulb. There's no nomenclature on the side of the bulb other than 'Petzl 4.5V'.

#111700 - 11/06/07 06:32 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I have one of the Nite Ize in my 4 cell maglight. It is not as bright as the regular incandesant, but the battery kife is great. It would work your army issue too.

#111703 - 11/06/07 06:43 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: raydarkhorse]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I've got the Nite Ize in my 2D cell as well. I agree it's not as bright, so one day I said "to heck with it", and switched back to the regular bulb. Whenever that one burns out, I'll give in a switch to the LED.

ALSO, I was wondering if anyone else knew the answer, but I bought my 2D Maglite at Target, and it was on clearance at the time for a ridiculous $4-5. Anyone know why this would be. It's a good flashlight but a real ugly "gold/dirt" color. Could this have been the reason for the clearance?

#111707 - 11/06/07 07:02 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
probably the color but it aint nothing paint won't fix.

#111734 - 11/06/07 09:59 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: raydarkhorse]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Flashlight technology has really progressed in the last few years, so unless you're really attached to the older lights for sentimental reasons, you're probably better off just getting a new LED based flashlight/headlamp. The price of some of the newer lights are less than the price of a conversion bulb.

The 3 cell mag light bulb would probably work for the 4.5V petzl bulb if they had the same base. The mag light bulbs us a PR base, which is smooth, so it might work in your army light if it's also 3 cell. For the headlamp, if it's the old style Petzl headlamp that I think you have, then it's got a screw base terminal which are less common. They won't be physically compatible. There's nothing special or unique about incandescent bulbs, if the voltage is right, and it fits, then it'll work.

#111735 - 11/06/07 10:13 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
Flashlight technology has really progressed in the last few years, so unless you're really attached to the older lights for sentimental reasons, you're probably better off just getting a new LED based flashlight/headlamp. The price of some of the newer lights are less than the price of a conversion bulb.

You nailed it, particularly with my old US Army one. It's just a flashlight I've had forever that brings back some memories.

The 3 cell mag light bulb would probably work for the 4.5V petzl bulb if they had the same base. The mag light bulbs us a PR base, which is smooth, so it might work in your army light if it's also 3 cell. For the headlamp, if it's the old style Petzl headlamp that I think you have, then it's got a screw base terminal which are less common. They won't be physically compatible.

I was afraid you might say that. Yes, it's kind of an odd screw in type bulb, definitely not smooth like the PR type. I'm probably SOL here. Sigh.

There's nothing special or unique about incandescent bulbs, if the voltage is right, and it fits, then it'll work.

That's what I thought, which is why I wondered why it said "replacement for Mag-Lite." The smaller Mini-Mag conversion kit definitely is for Mini-Mags only, so maybe the clueless ones in the purchasing dept. put "Mag-Lite" in the text assuming it was the same deal.

#111742 - 11/06/07 11:18 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
[
I was afraid you might say that. Yes, it's kind of an odd screw in type bulb, definitely not smooth like the PR type. I'm probably SOL here. Sigh.

There are ways to make anything work, depending on how much trouble you want to go through. It's not that hard to put in a different bulb base to make it work. The results might be disappointing though. Check out www.candlepowerforums.com for a lot more info. There are guys there that'll spend $100 to mod a $10 light. It'll probaby take you a few years to read through everything though.

#111755 - 11/06/07 11:59 PM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Hmm, That's weird. I believe that my Maglite 4D is much brighter with the LED bulb than with the incandescent. However, I've got the Mag-Lite original LED replacement, 3 watt, not the Nite Ize LED (no wattage on their website, though, 1 watt?). I can't look straight at this LED light, it's simply painful (another self-defense feature smile )! No problems looking at the incandescent bulb...

Hikin_Jim, "Mag-Lite" in the name means that this bulb does not void the Maglite flashlight Limited Lifetime Warranty. For the other LED replacements you can try to search eBay.

#111757 - 11/07/07 12:13 AM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: Alex]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Alex
"Mag-Lite" in the name means that this bulb does not void the Maglite flashlight Limited Lifetime Warranty. For the other LED replacements you can try to search eBay.

The Nite Ize website says in the fine print at the bottom:
Quote:
Replacing the original bulb with the Nite Ize® L.E.D. Upgrade will void the MAG Instrument® LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY covering the MAGLITE® flashlight.

(emphasis added)

#111761 - 11/07/07 01:04 AM Re: Convert old flashlight to LED? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

For $6.99 you can get an 'ArcMania SMJLED' replacement bulb for a (2) C/D cell or Mini-mag light. They're not extremely bright but they have a nice white tint and burn for long long time. Definitely a lot brigher than the Nite Ize though. I've got a couple of the PR based bulbs in cheapo 2D garrity flashlights and they're much brighter than the standard incan bulb. Not to mention it'll run for days.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=181

(Oops, just noticed you said 4D. Nevermind)

As far as the Petzl goes, you can get screw based replacement bulbs. But to be useful its gotta be a cluster of 5mm leds (not sure they make it anymore), and not a 1W or 3W side emitter. The reason is that the Petzl reflector isn't optimized to capture the light so you just get a dim flood. I know, I found that out $20 bucks later.

Edited by LED (11/07/07 01:06 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 650 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.