The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111725 - 11/06/07 09:05 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
In one episode, he climbs directly down the face of a water fall because he doesn't want to take the chance of getting separated from his watersource.

I saw one where he actually jumped off a cliff and into the water. I kept thinking, 'you dumbass, what if you land on a rock?'

#111731 - 11/06/07 09:31 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I know there are guys right here in this forum that know alot more than either of them. Bear is a fake. Les pretty much starves and freezes for 7-days (often less) which just about any healthy guy his age can do.

#111739 - 11/06/07 11:07 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Rio]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Bear's name isn't Bear. He isn't surviving. He isn't showing great technique. He isn't in danger.

But he says he is....

#111740 - 11/06/07 11:10 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Hikin_Jim]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
first, a lot of what he's modeling to kids is poor survival practice and, second, some of it down right dangerous

I agree Jim.

The bounding from rock to rock is beyond stupid. I do use it to teach my daughter "this is what you don't do" and she's gotten very skilled at spotting the stupid risks he takes for ratings.

The only thing I watch MVW is for the scenery. I suspect Bear has a bigger budget based on the number of shows he's done.

My wife does like to watch me watch MVW though just to see me yell at the TV. Sometimes I just mute the TV and just watch the scenery.

I have a lot of respect for Les and the quality of shows he puts on. Just wish there were more of them and they were on more.

#111743 - 11/06/07 11:24 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: samhain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: samhain
I have a lot of respect for Les and the quality of shows he puts on. Just wish there were more of them and they were on more.

Here, here.

No show's perfect, but Les demonstrates fire and shelter building quite a bit. He at least gives one an idea of what one ought to be about and what one's priorities ought to be.

#111747 - 11/06/07 11:41 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
It's sad that a lot of people I have met have seen Man Vs Wild, but not Survivorman.
Market share and distribution gave us VHS instead of Betamax.
The great unwashed masses don't know which is ACTUALLY a survival show and which is entertainment.
I can't imagine someone saying I watch "Bear" and it saved my life, but sooner or later we will hear it.
Les does a great show, but in this world it's style over substance all the time.
Looks like the advertising men have killed us in more than one way.
We are fortunate Les was able to talk the discovery/science networks into the idea.
Who knows maybe he will get the media credit that he deserves.
We could always do a poll ?

#111750 - 11/06/07 11:50 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm not all that big on comparing the two shows, I firmly believe in the motto of "each to their own".

I like Les and his show. I don't enjoy Bear's show to learn survival techniques but his show embodies the "extreme" attitude that had shown up in recent years. "Extreme" versions of some video games and "sports", that is. If you're into that thing then fine. I just like the more realistic attitude that Les shows while attempting to get people to think "outside the box" when it comes to innovating with your tools at hand in his quasi-simulated scenarios. I also like Ray Mears, Ron Hood and Mors Kochanski, et al - but for TOTALLY different reasons.

Bear's shows may be staged or even faked to some degree, whatever. But he is still entertaining in the same mode that WWE or Man-hunter seems to interest some people. Just not me.

#111754 - 11/06/07 11:57 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
"Bear Grylls -- the survival equivalent of professional wrestling." I like it!

#111793 - 11/07/07 03:45 AM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I recently saw Bear use his knife to cut through about a 2" tree branch. He was hammering on his blade spine with a rock. It looked like a rock. Good way to break a perfectly good blade in a survival situation. If you must chop through something use another piece of wood to hammer on the spine of your blade.

He drinks entirely too much pooled and/or running water at considerable risk and drank his own urine on one episode. Most survival books I've read never recommend doing that.

Biting the head off the snake and eating the darn thing as is....

Its showing off and giving bad advice, but it can be entertaining to watch him do things inwhich he takes entirely too much risk.

I have a lot more respect for Les Stroud.

#111795 - 11/07/07 04:03 AM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: hiker1]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Not to mention all the running and jumping off of things that Bear does that puts him in potential danger of hurting/killing himself in his "survival" situations.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 452 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.