Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#111485 - 11/05/07 02:37 PM Re: World War III? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi raydarkhorse,

Quote:
Iran has basically said that they will wipe Israel off the map

This is incorrect, a misinterpretation from a poor translation that was then expanded on and served up as propaganda, which suited certain groups and individuals at the time. It now has become 'a fact' simply because it is repeated constantly.

Quote:
Iran has made no attempts to hide or deny the facts they want to build nuclear weapons.

Again this assumption is incorrect, there is a difference between having a civil nuclear power sector and a weapons program.
Indeed there has even been complete and total denials by the Iranian President stating that possessing a Nuclear Weapon is un-Islamic.

But most have been programmed to respond 'Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a madman who can't be trusted'.

The propaganda that is served up is very subtle but it is a continous drip drip effect. Sometimes the drips are large enough to become noticeable. e.g. A ticker tape of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. Bin Laden for example may scroll across the botton of the TV screen in the corner of the room.
If Iran has a defensive posture, perhaps we should understand why. Now just imagine if Canada and Mexico had been invaded by Iranian forces.
And as China has recently expanded it's military forces, perhaps we need to understand why,

www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.pdf

This is perhaps a good place to start.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/05/07 03:00 PM)

#111494 - 11/05/07 04:10 PM Re: World War III? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Your scource is from 2002 three years before the current regime in Iran so has little or no value. I am reading and listening to Arab and pro Arab publications who not only report what I am saying but are proud of it. If you choose to ignore interpetaions by Arab news agencies it's your your choice I won't try to change your views. I try not to let my feelings dictate who and what I believe I try to find the truth if I can and suggest you do the same.

#111515 - 11/05/07 06:10 PM Re: World War III? [Re: Frankie]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Frankie

The civilians have to eat roots to survive.
Frankie

What, like carrots, potatoes, or yams?

Nothing wrong with roots.

#111519 - 11/05/07 06:34 PM Re: World War III? [Re: norad45]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: norad45
Quote:
It's just that **** keeps popping up more and more lately, and I'm just starting to notice it.

But **** has always been popping up. I would suggest to you that it popped up in a much bigger way in 1939, 1948, 1962, and 1979.

As far as the rest of your second paragraph goes, I refer you back to your topic starter:

Well, if i recall correctly, when the stuff hit the fan in 1939, a World War DID happen. We really had no business getting involved in Korea, kinda like where we are now, but i digress. And if the situation in 62 had gone where many feared it would, it could(and likely WOULD) have affected most of the world whether they got involved militarily or not.

And you're right, the rest of my rant was hypocritical. I've edited the post in question.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#111530 - 11/05/07 07:19 PM Re: World War III? [Re: Erik_B]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Erik_B
Originally Posted By: norad45
Quote:
It's just that **** keeps popping up more and more lately, and I'm just starting to notice it.

But **** has always been popping up. I would suggest to you that it popped up in a much bigger way in 1939, 1948, 1962, and 1979.

As far as the rest of your second paragraph goes, I refer you back to your topic starter:

Well, if i recall correctly, when the stuff hit the fan in 1939, a World War DID happen. We really had no business getting involved in Korea, kinda like where we are now, but i digress. And if the situation in 62 had gone where many feared it would, it could(and likely WOULD) have affected most of the world whether they got involved militarily or not.

But the point is that in each of those years there were major world powers involved (1939: Germany, Italy, Great Britain, France, and later on the USA, the USSR, and Japan. In '48, '62, and '79 it was the USA vs. USSR (or NATO vs. the Warsaw Pact if you prefer.) And I guess you can throw 1950's Korea into the mix as well, even though that was a United Nations gig. I just don't see anything like that happening now. North Korea? I'm not all that sure they can even beat the ROK. Last I checked the South Koreans have a pretty big military of their own. Iran? They couldn't even beat Saddam Hussein in a war that lasted 8 years. You are going to have a hard time convincing me that these clowns are somehow going to ignite World War III.

#111538 - 11/05/07 08:05 PM Re: World War III? [Re: el_diabl0]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Anybody up for a game of RISK?

ever play nuclear risk?? A few pieces are marked on the bottom as nuclear forces. smile

#111542 - 11/05/07 08:24 PM Re: World War III? [Re: Stu]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Anybody up for a game of RISK?

ever play nuclear risk?? A few pieces are marked on the bottom as nuclear forces. smile

that reminds me of an incident last week. The local Books-a-Million hosts a chess club every tuesday. Me and three friends were playing a four-way game. After we'd been playing for about ten minutes, this ***hole in a blue ball cap comes up to our table, yells "NUCLEAR BOMB!!" and dumps his coke over the board, washing most of the pieces off, and soaking us in cold soda. It was lucky for him that the store manager was watching, because we're fairly big guys, and there were four of us, and we were truly prepared to go nuclear on his face, and i don't think the rest of the gathering would have disagreed with our reaction, or remembered the incident if questioned.

Edited by Erik_B (11/05/07 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#111580 - 11/06/07 12:01 AM Re: World War III? [Re: Erik_B]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think it depends on how you define World War. If it is bullets flying and people dieing somewhere in the world, then yes, there will be (already is) a WWIII, and it will never end. If you mean us against them, fighting 'til one gives up, then I would say no, not like WWI & II. If you mean the "terrorists from the desert" against the USofA, that one is gonna be going on for a long long long (I feel like Harrison Ford in Six Days Seven Nights here) long long long time. But I don't know if you could call that a World War. Confused yet? I am...

#112809 - 11/18/07 01:11 PM Re: World War III? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi raydarkhorse,

Quote:
Iran has made no attempts to hide or deny the facts they want to build nuclear weapons.

Again this assumption is incorrect, there is a difference between having a civil nuclear power sector and a weapons program.
Indeed there has even been complete and total denials by the Iranian President stating that possessing a Nuclear Weapon is un-Islamic.

But most have been programmed to respond 'Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a madman who can't be trusted'.

"Iran has installed 3,000 centrifuges for enriching uranium - enough to begin industrial-scale production of nuclear fuel and build a warhead within a year, the UN's nuclear watchdog reported last night."
This was reported Friday November 16, 2007 by Julian Borger, diplomatic editor of The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2212071,00.html

It could be argued that this is just to refine fuel for their reactors but with the setup it now allows them to refine uranium to 90%. Fuel grade uranium needs only be between .9 and 2% pure but is usually refined to 3 to 5% pure. However weapons require at least an 85% now they are really going to produce a massive amount of fuel rods for their reactors (how many do they have?) or they are going to produce weapons grade material grade. These are facts they can be checked through the source I have given, one of several or you can check them independently which I encourage. If you can find fact to refute what I have found please send me your source.

Edited by raydarkhorse (11/18/07 01:33 PM)

#112945 - 11/19/07 02:11 PM Re: World War III? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
It's pretty obvious that they want to build nuclear weapons. This countrie is full of natural gas resources, why would they need nuclear energy...

Frankie

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.