Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111351 - 11/04/07 04:24 AM report to police about predator on social site?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

how do you notify the police of stalker/predator on social sites?

I think that there is a predator on a site who constantly attacking me. He actually wants to meet me in person to fight me.

#111352 - 11/04/07 04:33 AM Re: report to police about predator on social site? [Re: picard120]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I would print out any posting from him to you. Then go to the police explain to them whats going on and show the printouts. Then ask what can be further done to stop this.

Keep us informed good luck

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#111368 - 11/04/07 01:43 PM Re: report to police about predator on social site [Re: picard120]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There you go believing everything you read. . . Maybe he has posted that he wants to meet you in person to fight, but that's just trash talk. Now if he was a smooth talker trying to meet you for drinks I'd be concerned.

My advice, don't let him know who you are or where you live. He doesn't know you does he? Tell me your name isn't really Picard.

#111374 - 11/04/07 04:58 PM Re: report to police about predator on social site [Re: Russ]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Is it really time to call the police?

Assuming that you aren't getting any help from the board admins/owners through the website,

If I were really concerned about something on another website, I would start by figuring out who owns the website by typing the name into the following link.

https://secure.registerapi.com/services/whois.php?siteid=4798

I would attempt to contact the site owners listed here to seek assistance.

If I was still concerned, after speaking with the site's owner or agent,

Then I would contact the authorities in the jurisidiction where the website's business or owner is registered and then follow leemann's advice.

Edited by GarlyDog (11/04/07 05:15 PM)

#111378 - 11/04/07 06:15 PM Re: report to police about predator on social site? [Re: leemann]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

he doesn't know my real name. The guy also attacks other people on the site. People like him is looking trouble.

#111379 - 11/04/07 06:25 PM Re: report to police about predator on social site [Re: picard120]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Do you need to participate on that site? Walk away internet style.
If you think there is a true threat of a crime call your local PD and give them the link to your evidence but only if it is definitely more than just "internetestosterone".
Bill

#111387 - 11/04/07 07:36 PM Re: report to police about predator on social site [Re: billym]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: billym
"internetestosterone"
LOL

#111409 - 11/05/07 12:20 AM Re: report to police about predator on social site? [Re: picard120]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
You file a complaint with the operator of the site as well as with the police.

I've been through this, and there was an arrest and conviction made. Save everything you get from them, print it out, call the local PD and tell them you want to file a "harassment complaint against an individual" and when they ask who, you tell them that the person is using a fake name, but is using (name of forum) to direct personal attacks at you, and you want them to demand the IP address and other identifying information of the user. Finding a particular person who is using the internet can be relatively easy - there's a lot of ways to do it.

If his threat is credible, and you state "I am in fear of attack by this person" in your complaint, you will have a better chance of getting the complaint acted upon. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you MUST, MUST, MUST be willing to press charges and file a police complaint - which means you must be willing to go through with the process of a conviction.

If the person is in another state, it's a matter for the FBI.

#111410 - 11/05/07 12:24 AM Re: report to police about predator on social site? [Re: picard120]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: picard120
he doesn't know my real name. The guy also attacks other people on the site. People like him is looking trouble.

It takes 2 to argue or fight. If you totally ignore him, he should soon tire of not getting a reaction, and move on. Some thrive on conflict, and when they don't get, they get bored.

In the meantime, be very aware of what's going on around you. I'd file a complaint if he made a threat, but be aware than the police may no do much, if anything.

#111423 - 11/05/07 01:32 AM Re: report to police about predator on social site [Re: Russ]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
RAS,

I agree with you it very well may be some guy farting in the wind, but if Picard or anyone else is perceiving a threat it's best to act on it (legally of course).

I always teach my child "if it feels icky, it is icky".

Better to be safe than sorry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.