Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#110826 - 10/31/07 01:30 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Do you count dogs and cats as "game" ?

Without them my area is pretty much limited to squirrels and birds.

Unimogbert

#110827 - 10/31/07 01:45 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
How far would you have to travel to effectively hunt or fish?

About 15 miles for wild game.

Quote:
To what degree would you rely on game for food?

I won't rely on it at all, but I certaintly would attempt to augment my stored rations with it. Lots of people hunt and fish here.

Lots of people own dogs too--I'd have to be desperate before I shot one for food. Somebody might take it personally. shocked

#110829 - 10/31/07 02:05 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yes, that is the plan.

In less than a mile I have access to a stream filled with fish, turtles, crayfish and alligators. The surrounding woods are filled with deer, feral hogs, squirrels, beaver, raccoons, coyotes, etc... There is also a deer-breeding operation 1/2 mile away. I also plan on trapping birds and other small game/fish to suppliment our food.

The main problem will be the competition for these resources. My neighborhood is filled with sportsmen so I think the best bet would to organize them into hunting parties that would bring back food for community meals. Fish soup or raccoon stew will give nutrition to more people than fried fish or roasted raccoon.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#110846 - 10/31/07 03:56 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If forced to bug in, it's reasonable to make use of edible animals when the opportunity presents; but IMHO to rely on hunting means that your preparations have been grossly inadequate. In any kind of extended situation, the bulk of your calories will not come from meat; they will come from the beans/rice/lentils/oils/grains you have stored.

People who live well out into the country will of course have better luck (more game and less competition). But people in or around urban areas better not rely on this.

Urban game will vanish in no time. And if you have enough mobility to go farther afield, that means you have gas to spare and the roads are open. You're not really "bugged in" at that point. You don't need to go hunting wild game, you need ready cash and/or tradeable goods; you need to draw on your rural contacts to buy stored wheat/barley/corn or take a share of a beef or pig.

You might also consider putting some rodents to work for you, converting plant material you can't eat in to stew that you can. Rabbits? Meadow voles? These breed rapidly and can reliably supplement a survival diet, even in a suburban back yard. Agriculture beats hunting every time; that's why humans switched.

#110848 - 10/31/07 04:01 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
My plan is to (depending on the situation) supplement my food stores with wild game. The longer I can make my supplies last the better things will be. If it is a bug out situation our primary rally point is some property where we hunt, and is far back into the boonies. We have only run into other hunters in the area 4 or 5 times in the last 7 years. The majority of people hunt within shouting distance of roads. However most of the people who would turn to hunting for survival, would probably stay fairly close to home for two reasons
1. If things are to the point where people who do not normally hunt are hunting to survive, then gas will probably be in short supply to.
2. If things are to the point where people who do not normally hunt are hunting to survive, then people will stay close for security reasons; in emergencies they can respond home or send help for help.

#110861 - 10/31/07 05:40 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Dougwalkabout,

Don't worry, we have that covered. This thread was specifically about hunting so I didn't see a need to talk about our stocks of rice/beans/oats/nuts, canned goods, our vegetable garden (both backyard and guerilla), or the numerous wild edible plants in the area. Rest assured, we are well prepared.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#110862 - 10/31/07 05:50 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: CBTENGR]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
Cities are full of squirrels and such. I don't have any doubt I would be able to snare enough food even in an urban setting.

It's illegal to kill or trap squirrels here. You don't think the animal rights activists wouldn't be all over you for snaring squirrels after a quake? :->

You're right, though. There are squirrels and racoons along with dogs.

#110863 - 10/31/07 06:03 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: philip]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Lots of practical survival methods are illegal. Trapping is simply much more discreet and you are less likely to get caught doing it than you would be shooting at the wee beasties.

In a survival situation, I really couldn't care less what any animal rights activist thinks, so long as they stay the heck outta my business. If they should attempt to interfere with me, I will treat them like any other hostile competitor, and respond accordingly. I believe in that aspect, I am much better equipped than they are to determine the outcome.

#110871 - 10/31/07 06:14 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: benjammin]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Lots of practical survival methods are illegal. Trapping is simply much more discreet and you are less likely to get caught doing it than you would be shooting at the wee beasties.

In a survival situation, I really couldn't care less what any animal rights activist thinks, so long as they stay the heck outta my business. If they should attempt to interfere with me, I will treat them like any other hostile competitor, and respond accordingly. I believe in that aspect, I am much better equipped than they are to determine the outcome.

Sounds like a good way to make enemies to me. Fighting with the tree huggers because they don't like the fact you're poaching is a good way to get arrested...or worse.

#110875 - 10/31/07 06:27 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: ]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
If it's to the point where you HAVE to hunt who cares. At this point and time they will be your enemy anyway anyone thats unprepared will be because you have equipment and knowlege to trap with and they dont. When you get to the point where HAVE to hunt and your kids are hungry who cares wht the tree huggers think. If and when you get caught pay the fine and be happy.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 450 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.