The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#110876 - 10/31/07 06:31 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you are in a widespread survival situation, so are all the fish and game wardens. So are all the animal rights activists. Where do you think this issue fits in with widespread looting for food and water? Do you think it will be 'business as usual' for these officials?

I live between two rivers, both very polluted. SOL.

Sue

#110878 - 10/31/07 06:41 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Blast --

My post was intended as general commentary, and wasn't directed at you specifically. (I should be more careful about the way I post.)

Glad to hear you're well prepared.

Doug

#110879 - 10/31/07 07:00 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: raydarkhorse]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
If you are that hungry, the tree huggers may be too. Nothing like a few days without food to change your outlook on life.

Although I am in NYC, I do have my beloved sailboat with access to the Atlantic Ocean. I have some basic fishing equipment, but am not really much of a fisherman. If worst came to worst, I figure some of the hardcore fishermen docked near me would gladly trade some of their knowledge and skill for a ride to the good fishing spots, since they will be out of gas.

#110884 - 10/31/07 07:32 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I already DO hunt to supplement....the Deer in my back yard are delicious!

#110897 - 10/31/07 09:20 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: MartinFocazio]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thinking about dogs. Considering people would likely become more dependent on their canine's ability to detect and bark at strangers/protection/hunting etc, if you did happen to shoot someone's dog you probably just made yourself a target. Having said that, I think its highly unlikely (in north america anyway) a scenario would develop where dogs, cats, horses, etc, become possible food sources. Not that it couldn't happen, but by the time things get that desperate you're talking serious world wide collapse and at that point you'd better already have long term food resources in place (growing wheat, potatoes, chickens) or you ain't gonna make it. I say that because resorting to dog meat for sustenance means things aren't going well and what little nourishment you get from that type lean/starving-dog meat isn't going to sustain you for long. Definitely not long enough to get your food crops up and running. Just some mind rambling.

#110902 - 10/31/07 09:32 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: LED]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: LED
Thinking about dogs. Considering people would likely become more dependent on their canine's ability to detect and bark at strangers/protection/hunting etc, if you did happen to shoot someone's dog you probably just made yourself a target. Having said that, I think its highly unlikely (in north america anyway) a scenario would develop where dogs, cats, horses, etc, become possible food sources. Not that it couldn't happen, but by the time things get that desperate you're talking serious world wide collapse and at that point you'd better already have long term food resources in place (growing wheat, potatoes, chickens) or you ain't gonna make it. I say that because resorting to dog meat for sustenance means things aren't going well and what little nourishment you get from that type lean/starving-dog meat isn't going to sustain you for long. Definitely not long enough to get your food crops up and running. Just some mind rambling.

Just somthing to think about. All thru history up till the day when bad things happened there were more people saying that can't happen here than there were trying to get the warning out.

Edited by raydarkhorse (10/31/07 09:32 PM)

#110905 - 10/31/07 09:45 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

Good luck with hunting. If you think your deer woods are crowded in hunting season, just think how it would be with EVERY gun owner out there. Half the households have a gun only about 7 percent hunt,now put all those others out there.

It would not be "hunting" anyway. It would be spotlights and rifles and such .

Small game might work short term. Go to the mall and blast a boat load of geese or the zoo.

Edited by THIRDPIG (10/31/07 09:47 PM)

#110906 - 10/31/07 10:00 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
The only alternative would be to buy a .22 that I could put in my BOB and start practicing! I've been trying to find out if the US Survival Rifle is legal in Canada. I suspect it's not because it's so easy to hide and has such a short barrel.

If the US Survival Rifle you mean is the take-down model now made by Henry Arms then, then yes it is legal to buy in Canada (short barrel but not centrefire), as long as you have a Federal Firearm Possession/Acquisition Licence.

The best price I have seen in Canada is at SIR in Winnipeg for $209.99 http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...f640779618cc473

I looked at the Henry Rifle last summer but decided to buy the Marlin Papoose instead, I think it is a better made, more accurate firearm but it does not compress as small.

Mike

#110908 - 10/31/07 10:14 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: desertrat1]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Good question desertrat1,

I live in an agricultural area surrounded by the Boreal Forest about 2 miles away. I would hunt/fish for food if the need came up as I do it regularly now, but I think there would be a lot more competition.

Mike

#110910 - 10/31/07 10:51 PM Re: Able to Hunt for Food [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Sue,

Originally Posted By: Susan
If you are in a widespread survival situation, so are all the fish and game wardens. So are all the animal rights activists. Where do you think this issue fits in with widespread looting for food and water? Do you think it will be 'business as usual' for these officials?

I think the response from Government Natural Resources agencies and Animal Activists will depend on the scale and length of the emergency situation.

In a true, long term survival situation I think the due diligence defence of "I was afraid I (or my family) was going to starve to death" should allow for the reasonable, non-commercial harvest of fish and wildlife.

This brings up another question concerning the harvesting of fish and wildlife in mock survival situations or in training videos. We all know that the most efficient way to harvest fish and wildlife is by means illegal for most sportsmen (e.g. traps, snares, denning, netting, spearing, etc), that is why these means are used by commercial anglers and trappers (its a controlled business not for sport).

What is your opinion on the unlawful harvest of fish and wildlife in practice type survival situations?

Mike

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.