Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11047 - 12/05/02 12:17 PM Fire making by pressure?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read many books on survival and I have seen a cylinder that is used to compress the tinder untill the tempature reaches so hot it explodes into a small flaming part. Then you just remove that from the cylinder and it replaces the need for matches and it last for ever. I think this would be awesome has anyone ever made one or bought one. I also think it it was the right size then you would be able to put matches in it to double as a match case. Thanks a lot.<br><br>snow day yeeehaaa

#11048 - 12/05/02 01:44 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

it's called a firepiston ( see www.firepistons.com , http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/fire/firepiston/firepiston1Rob.html ) i dont think you can use them to store matchs since the place inside the piston is already occupied by the piston, so you end up having to store you piston somewere else...

#11049 - 12/05/02 06:42 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
See this recent thread by Paramedicpete.<br><br> Fire Pistons <br><br>I am going to get one of these from Wilderness Solutions

#11050 - 12/06/02 06:20 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have bet real money that this wouldn't have worked- apparently, I would have lost. Fascinating. This is the first really novel "survival" concept I've run across in some time.<br><br>I guess I'd have misgivings about versions with a wooden plunger getting wet. If the plunger swells even slightly I think it would be useless. <br><br>One question- if the fit is that tight, how do you get the piston to stay all the way down (against air pressure) for carrying?<br><br>Here's a link to some videos and a synthetic version:<br><br>http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/5102/<br><br>

#11051 - 12/06/02 07:04 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Presumed,<br><br>These things really interest me also. I have got to get one.<br><br>My understanding is that the wooden plunger itself is not a tight fit but that the gasket makes the tight fit. So a bit of swelling in the shaft would not prevent the piston from moving. Also the gasket material is not absolutely perfect, so a slow push of the piston down the tube would allow air to leak out around the gasket to allow you to seat the piston. Only a rapid push of the piston generates the required compression of air to ignite the tinder.<br><br>I am looking at the horn version for myself, hopefully an after the Holiday present to myself. I also want one of their tinder carriers. I ask if they could make a comb unit with tinder carrier in the handpiece of the firepiston and was told they are working on this version in Wood. Maybe this will be available after the Holidays.<br><br>The plastic versions you found do not appeal to me as much as the wood or horn models simply due to their more industrial look. (Shades of my wooden walking stick preference).<br><br>Hopefully, Paramedicpete will have some time over the holidays to give us an evaluation of the Wooden FirePiston he has. <br>

#11052 - 12/06/02 07:54 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I can attest to the fact that these really work and work well with a little practice. The one I have is very well made. I would not recommend these as a primary fire making survival item. There are other fire making tools that I feel would be better. However, I love mine, but more as a curiosity tool. As to the fit, if you advance the plunger slowly while twisting, it will bottom out nicely. Pete

#11053 - 12/06/02 08:06 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have practiced with mine and can generate a glowing ember with the "tinder fungus" recommended every time. I have tried other tinders with varying success. The gasket does require some maintenance and occasional replacement. It takes (at least for me) several "plunges" to generate a glowing ember. After the first plunge you can begin to smell the tinder smoldering and after the 2nd or 3rd plunge the tinder is glowing. From my prospective, one should carry a waterproof match safe/matches, magnesium block or lighter before considering the fire piston. But it is still real cool to be able to create a fire with the piston. Pete

#11054 - 12/06/02 10:08 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The toy value seems immense, anyway. :-)<br><br>I really liked the lines of the horn version in the "gallery", as opposed to the horn versions in the models for sale. Not sure I like it another $30 or so better...<br><br>Not that it's a big issue right at the moment, but it is worth noting that most of these models have no metal at all to raise questions at an airport. On the other hand, if a member of the constabulary found one while you were being patted down, especially what with scorching and the burnt smell inside, I'd bet they'ed be really tempted to assume it's "paraphenalia" of some sort and send it off to a lab while you cool your heels in a cinderblock Holiday Inn. Something to think about.<br><br>It would seem to me that the most difficult part of making one is the bottom of the drilled hole. Probably reqires a custom square-ended bit, and some sort of polisher. I have lots of hickory ramrod dowels in different diameters, that wouldn't be much problem. One could line the hole with brass hobbyist's tubing. Obviously, the wood or whatever has to be dense and nonporous, so as not to absorb or split because of the pressure, and of course resist a bit of heat.<br><br>Maybe the most interesting facet for me is speculating on how it might be improved upon. The principle obviously works well enough in this most basic implementation, but.... flint-and-steel is to a Zippo as a firepiston is to... ?<br>

#11055 - 12/06/02 11:19 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I think you have defined my "need"....Toy Value, with perceived/actual/unique usefullness.<br><br>Ever since Pete started smoldering the blanket, just knew I had to have one of these. The fact that they look very well made is also a bonus. I like the horn model in the gallery (custom?) page also. Fairly certain I am going for the Standard (Hunter) offering however.<br><br>I carry or have just about every type of fire making device available. I have had very limited success with a homemade fire drill....lots of sweat and a bit of smoke, no flame. Traditional flint and steel with charcloth, actually got a fire twice after just about using up a whole piece of flint. Then of course the more techno methods which always have worked well, Firesteels, lighters, matches, various chemicals. The Piston has all the neat stuff and traditional appeal that is just calling out to me. I too, have a blanket that needs some spark holes

#11056 - 12/07/02 03:08 PM Re: Fire making by pressure?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Practice is everything. I made a point of starting up my wood stove fires for years with flint-and-steel... once acquired, you don't lose the skill. Don't let anyone fool you though, it's mostly about char and tinder, less about spark.<br><br>I've gotten fire with a fire drill twice. From my limited experience, the wood has to be very dry, softer is better, and the shape of the socket is important- you need to let some air in there with a small groove, or do it close to the edge.<br><br>Sounds like you need an example of a fire piston just to complete your collection.... if you need another excuse. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 482 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.