Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#110183 - 10/26/07 08:17 PM Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The built-in ceiling lights in my windowless laundry room are those round ones with the glass globe that fits over the metal base thing. The label says not to use bulbs higher than 65 watts.

I would like to have more light in there.

Using normal incandescent bulbs, could I go to a 75-watt or 100-watt if I left the glass globe off?

Is this warning due to wiring or something, or because of heat build-up inside the globe?

I've always wondered about this. We don't need to get into fluorescent or its-55-watts-but-lights-like-100 stuff.

Everyone probably knows this blush but like I've said before: electricity and magic are the same to me.

Thanks,
Sue

#110186 - 10/26/07 08:37 PM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: Susan]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Sue,

It's mostly the heat. I just had to rewire a hangling light fixture becuase the wiring had failed due to the heat baking the insulation off. And that was from using the recommended lamps. You can use a CFL at a higher light output and have less heat. I'm sure some of the pro's on the board can give you a better explanation.

Andy

#110187 - 10/26/07 09:07 PM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"Is this warning due to wiring or something, or because of heat build-up inside the globe?"

Generally it has to do with heat buildup and its possible effects on the socket and the ability of the insulation on the wiring to withstand this elevated temperature.

For recessed fixtures there is the additional concern about the fixture itself becoming hot enough to damage or ignite insulation in the ceiling, the framing or any nearby wiring.

For surface fixtures, as it sounds like you have, your options are: To risk a higher wattage lamp, bulb. This isn't a huge risk as long as the over-wattage is moderate, usually the result is lowered lamp life and eventual destruction of the socket, and/or wiring, in the fixture, the chance of a fire is tiny but significant. I have seen fixtures over-lamped to 200% of its rating and the result, after decades, was the destruction of the fixture, the box above, the wiring entering the box and the drywall above the ceiling. As bad as it was, a major repair job, there was no fire and the fixture was still running when we got there.

Another option would be to changing out the fixture itself for one rated for a higher wattage. Note that 60w is the standard for most fixtures. Look closely and pay a bit more when buying the replacement and you can find one rated for a 75w bulb and there are some rates as high as 100w.

You are correct in assuming that fixtures that tightly enclose the bulb/s with a glass or plastic cover tend to be more sensitive to heat buildup if over-lamped. Fixtures with shades that are open and allow air to circulate tend to handle over-lamping more gracefully. In an open fixture rated for 60w bulbs I have seen a lot of people put in 75w bulbs and have rarely seen any problems. Most of those in fixtures that were clearly over 40 years old.

In recessed fixtures a bulb that gives you more usable light can get you the brightness you want within the limits of the fixture and trim. A 'flood' bulb, PAR (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector) bulb projects the light down so a lower wattage bulb can get you more light.

In circuits that don't have a dimmer, fluorescents don't always get along with dimmers, compact fluorescent bulbs will give you more light while staying within the heat capabilities of the fixture. But some people don't like the light or performance characteristics.

#110210 - 10/26/07 11:40 PM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: Susan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Like Art says, it's the socket. It's rated for 65, so that's your limit.

You can change the sockets pretty easy if you know just a tad about electricity. Home Depot or wherever's your favorite will have them. From reading your posts, Sue, you know ALOT about alot, so I would guess you could do it in a snap.

Another option, which of course you considered, no doubt, is to get a couple of 2, 3, or 4' flourescent fixtures that you can screw under a wall cabinet or even to the wall....IF you have some wall plugs in the laundry room. I know I know, you said not to get into flourescents, but this suggestion is NOT that they're great or anything, just that they're cheap and an alternative to your problem.`

#110227 - 10/27/07 01:21 AM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: Stretch]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I had exactly the same problem in my "master closet". Just removed the globes, replaced the incandescent bulbs with huge fluorescent bulbs, and installed square pieces of flat plastic to cover the wires mess. No heat at all, plenty of light, saving money on energy...

#110253 - 10/27/07 12:36 PM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: Andy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Sue the cheapes and easiest way to get around your problem is to get one of the flouresent bulbs designed to replace an incandesent bulb. It screws into the same socket and produces less heat there fore you can go to a higher wattage I have done the same thing in my moms house all the 60 watt fixtures now have flouesent bulbs in them. A secondary advantage is less energy required to run them and they last longer. they do however cost more to buy, but it's still cheaper and easier than replacing or adding a fixture.

#110261 - 10/27/07 03:30 PM Re: Electrical / Lamp / Bulb question [Re: raydarkhorse]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Thanks for all the info!

DO IT MYSELF???!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTT!

[Headlines: "Stupid woman electrocutes self, forgets to turn off power to ceiling fixture"]

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 794 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.