Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#110151 - 10/26/07 02:51 PM Anyone have experience with this knife?
martino910 Offline

hello all...need some advice

I purchased this Tramontina today for about $12.

Anyone have any experience with this knife? Thought I'd just toss in in my BOB and sort of forget about it.

Looks kinda sturdy, comes with sheath, has full tang...lanyard attachment at finger guard...slight pommel at base...

chrome molybdenum blade (whatever that is...)

says AMAZONAS TWO on plasticky/rubbery handle

thanks

Attachments
DSC00021[1].jpg

#110157 - 10/26/07 03:28 PM Re: Anyone have experience with this knife? [Re: martino910]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I have no experience with that and never heard of it, but you now own it so you might as well put it in the BOB. I have a Frost "Grizzly Skinner" that stays in my BOB. It was a gift from bro-in-law and isn;t anything special, but it'll be more than adequate in a pinch.

Most stainless blades have an amount of chromium in them and many (no, most) also contain molyB. My guess is that the steel is nothing spectacular so the mfr embosses some "cool sounding" alloys like those to impress. For $12, who's to say it won;t work just fine as long as it's sharp?

I don;t know how much my bro paid for this knife (probably about $12 to $15, I'm guessing), but it'd be worth about $40 to me IF I were in the market for its size, design, and edge grind. It's great for the BOB though.....

ON EDIT: Oh, by the way, the blade embossing says "Stainless Japan". Another example of "now this steel ain't no big deal (in fact, we're kindly embarrassed to say what it is), but don;t some stainless from Japan sound intriguing and moderately 'far out'?"

Edited by Stretch (10/26/07 03:45 PM)

#110168 - 10/26/07 06:29 PM Re: Anyone have experience with this knife? [Re: Stretch]
jjmagnum Offline

Tramontina has a great reputation when it comes to Machetes and kitchen cutlery (as far as cost effectiveness). I see no reason why it shouldn't give you good service.

Interesting looking knife.

#110173 - 10/26/07 06:55 PM Re: Anyone have experience with this knife? [Re: jjmagnum]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have one of these. Picked it up for $6 at a liquidation store, thinking "at that price, what can I lose?"

The steel is a bit soft. It will take a usable edge, but won't hold it like better steels do.

I used this knife to teach my nephew how to use a baton to cut branches this summer. So it is reasonably sturdy, and not brittle like a kitchen knife.

The exposed steel at the front and rear of the handle is a potential blister-maker. I rounded off all that stuff with an angle grinder.

I wouldn't choose it as my "first line" cutting tool in a survival situation. But on the other hand, it's a passable backup tool.

And I like having a spare, disposable knife to do some of the really cruddy jobs (thus saving my main blade for actual cutting). Baton/chisel work, scraper, cutting sod, digging "cat sanitation" holes, etc.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/26/07 06:56 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.