That's how you got your handle!!!

#110177 - 10/26/07 07:12 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
That's how you got your handle!!!

Actually, I got my handle when I blew up my dorm room back in college when a demonstration went horribly, entertainingly wrong...

Of course, between those two events and on up until the first bombing of the World Trade Center there were many, uh, experiments with unstable molecules. After Feb 26, 1993 I decided it was best to stop playing with the homemade stuff and limit my activities to legally purchased explosives.

So I moved to Texas. Man, you can buy ANYTHING here!

-Blast, who still has all his fingers and both eyes, but a lot of scar tissue everywhere else
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#110257 - 10/27/07 02:05 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: Blast]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Blast
That cracks me up, reminds me of when I was a kid something similar.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (10/27/07 02:06 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#110267 - 10/27/07 04:51 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Thanks everyone, great advice. I ordered the barrel pump from Harbor Freight. -Gary

#110339 - 10/28/07 02:15 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: Blast]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Ok Blast that got me laughing. I think that the rolling it away from the house allowed the fuel to vaporize and mix with the air giving a nice explosive mixture. Funny when we look back on what we survived, heah?

Bill

#110433 - 10/29/07 03:11 AM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: williamlatham]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Blast - I'm a little jealous -- I didn't do anything near that much fun when I was a kid. I'm glad you made it through OK though. I guess we wouldn't hear stories from the people who did things like that and *really* screwed up...

#110489 - 10/29/07 01:39 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Blast - Good thing you didn't add pure oxygen from Dad's cutting torch like I did. Only a few drops of gasoline in a 2L soda bottle plus some O2. I had 2nd degree burns over the entire palm side of the hand that held the match.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#114444 - 12/01/07 08:53 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: thseng]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Time to revisit this topic based on experience. I bought the barrel pump from Harbor Freight. It was back-ordered and just arrived. It's quite large and beefy. I'm including a picture of my situation. To recap, I have (3) five gallon Wedco jerricans for gasoline to fuel my Honda generator. I want to rotate the gas out every 6 months to a year (I also use Sta-bil) to prevent the gas from going stale. Since I have a diesel SUV, the gas has to go into my wife's Mini Cooper.

(The cans are Wedco WCA-520Ps. The current spouts are their T202C "spill-proof" spouts, which are anything but.)

I wanted to get a high-quality siphon to move gas from the cans to the tank door (and to the generator tank), as the plastic Wedco spigots that came with each can are really dysfunctional. Well, you can see from the picture that the barrel pump isn't quite the best solution for me!

Two questions:

1. What's a best alternate siphon for this situation? And/Or,

2. Does anyone make a replacement pour spout for these cans that would work better than the plastic ones that came with it?

Thanks in advance. -Gary

P.S. -- Would anyone in the Maryland area be interested in a used-once barrel pump? 8-)

Edited by digimark (12/01/07 10:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Added can product numbers.

#114479 - 12/02/07 03:24 AM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Don't know any fix for carb cans other than getting fuel cans that are not carb compliant. Non-carb cans may not be legal where you live, there are more states adopting the not supposed to spill a drop cans that seem to have the ability to keep gasoline from going where you want it to go. Have not seen any non-carb replacement spouts that will interchange with the carb cans.

For the cans you have a large funnel will work well for fuel fillers located on top of equipment. The large equipment funnels are available from a well stocked hardware store or a place like tractor supply. For fueling your wife's mini cooper, seem to remember the fuel filler being on the drivers side, put a towel on the roof. Set the can on the towel, don't want to scratch the paint on your wife's ride otherwise you will be sleeping in the garage. I would not recommend this for a tall vehicle, to difficult to lift a full fuel can that high. Open everything up and use one of the HF shaker syphons, i use the surplus jerry cans and this empties the can in around a minute. Or use the pump you have by installing a length of flexible tubing to the output tube.

There are also smaller barrel pumps than the HF ones. I have seen small all plastic, won't rust pumps that the race car crowd uses. There is a cap below the pump designed to fit directly on the square racing gas cans. These things are not what i would call inexpensive but i'm not sure that there is much price difference between this and the wedco cans. The pumps are also by-directional turn the handle one way and it empties the can turn the handle the other way to pump fuel into the can. Very handy to remove the old fuel from the generator.

http://www.flofast.com/products.html

HTH's

#114630 - 12/03/07 04:24 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (marantz), 480 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.