Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109718 - 10/23/07 05:09 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Sue,,,,,Bo

#109722 - 10/23/07 05:54 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: el_diabl0]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Qualcomm situation is orders of magnitude better than the Superdome. Attitude is an amazing thing. Del Mar, Miramar and other evac points were taking horses, the stables are full at Del Mar -- there are lots of horses in San Diego.

#109742 - 10/23/07 07:45 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Russ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
There are more people in evacuation status than Katrina. NO PROBLEMS HERE. There are several places for the horses ( The Westfield shoping Mall, and several LARGE horse ranches in the area) Shoping malls and several large businesses that have big parking lots have opened them up to people with motorhomes and trailers. The Motels and hotels have opened up all there empty room for people who don't have a place to stay. Most people don't care whether the U.S.Gov. gets here or not. Of course there are going to be people who will need them to recover there losses. Sure isn't like Katrina (I know I was there)

#109743 - 10/23/07 07:54 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: big_al]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's because of the average (BLANK) level of the folks involved in this evacuation versus the Katrina Debacle.

Fill in the blank as you wish & you will still have a true statement.

#109747 - 10/23/07 08:40 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: wildman800]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: wildman800
That's because of the average (BLANK) level of the folks involved in this evacuation versus the Katrina Debacle.

I can't find any better way to make that point. Clear as day to me. Its good to see the good people of So. Cal. pulling together proving once and for all, it can be done.

Craig.

#109749 - 10/23/07 08:45 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: big_al]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: big_al
. . .Most people don't care whether the U.S.Gov. gets here or not. Of course there are going to be people who will need them to recover there losses. Sure isn't like Katrina (I know I was there)

"White House: Katrina lessons applied to California fires"
Quote:
On Tuesday, Bush sent Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, David Paulison, to the devastated areas in the state.
Which means they are studying the situation in order to get the paperwork . . . FEMA will always be late. Much better for local folks to help other local folks and keep the big government guys out of the way.

#109753 - 10/23/07 10:35 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Russ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
RAS: Don't get me wrong, Yes the Feds did respond with lip service to the Gov. But most of the people around here are taking care of each outher. AS Cody Lundin woud say "party on."

#109754 - 10/23/07 10:49 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: big_al]
Russ Offline
Geezer

We're on the same page. While the mayor and governor have been talking to DC, the folks on the ground have been working the immediate issues. I haven't heard anyone yet asking for FEMA assistance. All they really need is to streamline the insurance clains and get teh rebuild process moving. Did I miss something? Did FEMA do something?

#109755 - 10/23/07 11:28 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: RAS
Did I miss something? Did FEMA do something?

Maybe you're just forgetting that every October, this crap happens. SoCal explodes into fire, idiots don't learn to leave, houses burn, insurance companies cough money up. Which means that local and state level agencies do this drill annually.

Now looking forward to California's next turn of seasons: Flood. Always follows Fire. Only 2 real seasons in that part of the country smile

#109760 - 10/24/07 12:46 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: MDinana]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quick note here. Victoria Principle and Mel Gibson's Publicists assured the gossip programmes both had evacuated safely and we could all breath easier.A Malibu 'Landmark' all of a 30 year old faux castle owned by one of Shaw Reza Palevi's daughters burned to the ground. But we were reassured many of the collectables were saved. You could see huge portraits of the Shah's family and lots of charity fundraiser party photos (I've never been invited) stacked up outside.I have single malt scotch older than that, and better friends in the persian community. And now to reality. A local Junior College is a designated evacuation point for horses. The media dutifully trots over there and throws " the experts here tell us ..." as countless horses are checked in with nylon halters that are prime burn mechanisms if a horse is caught in a fire. Then they mention that Stallions are not welcome. The director of this horse programme was beat up by a stallion years ago and has stud a phobia. The stallions all went to 3 other ranches where the horses were quietly led into seperate stalls, duh. One owner complimented how I handled his million dollar stud and asked " are you a horse whisperer?" I replied "No, I speak LOUD and CLEAR to my livestock, giving his baby a subtle pull on the lead rope and body language to pay attention. Bottled water is non existent. We had no problem getting resupplied in the Northridge Earthquake. This time instead of a few damged roads there are several main arteries blocked by fire or evacuation zones and Duh again, Lake Arrowhead, a major supplier is itself fighting a blaze. The many evacuees and fire personel have tapped bottle water to the max. My family members are suffering the pangs of Ulster drinking tap water but my supplies are still intact and hidden. The only looters I'll be shooting are my own duh! brothers. I have a bottle of Perrier I may offer the princess or Mel to for $50 later when I'm allowed back across to tend the horses. Malibu is 15% contained ( the fire, not celebrities) with %100 expected by thursday. We saw the DC10s fly down from Oregon and the Super Scoopers are amazing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.