Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#109768 - 10/24/07 02:35 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i have been getting "live" reports on a camp gear web site
from a fellow who is in one one of the evac zones..he and his
wife were up all nite packing 2 cars and trailers and
standing by to move out if nessary..even over the web i
can see the level of concern rise with each post..
its not a place i would want to be no matter how perpared
i was..

#109789 - 10/24/07 03:41 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Chris, thanks for checking in- I had a feeling we wouldn't see you for a day or two.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109790 - 10/24/07 03:46 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I won't bust people for bring out electronics if they have time. Given enough warning, my computers are bugging out with me. I ever meet him, I might poke him for not bringing water, but he had no plan, hadn't thought about it, he knows better if this should ever happen to him again.

The numbers I'm hearing are closer to 500K have been told to get out. So far, the evacuation looks like it is going better than I had hoped it could- looks like there was actually a plan, but California has plenty of practice. The real challenge will be if they have to evacuate a major population center. Gods, Spirits and miscellaneous martyrs willing, we won't have to find out.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109804 - 10/24/07 11:32 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: ironraven]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'll tell you - given 2 extra minutes, the main chassis of my PC is going - I don't care about monitors, keyboards etc - they can be replaced - the DATA is what I care about - and yes, I backup my PC regularly.

As I sit here in the den (I'm in NYC) I see 3 big orange watertight boxes - 2 of them are Ham radio gear I'd need to help in an emergency - the 3rd is household stuff I'd want

What I want, but have not seen (sources please) is a case - big enough to hold letter sized documents (Legal would be better, but documents fold) say 8" thick - a portable file cabinet - but waterproof and fire resistant. Anyone know of a good one? I'd put all the super important stuff in there, and feel a LOT happier that I could just grab that one box and GO

I've had to bug out exactly once - with NO warning - long enough to grab my cat, and my parakeet, and go (Backhoe put it's bucket through a 4" pigh pressure gas main about 25 yards from my house). NOT fun - the good news - no fire, and they got the main closed down in < 5 minutes - they were doing reconstruction to a road, and all the valves were marked out. Seems they DID call in the pipe marking crews, but the pipe wasn't were the drawings said it was - the valves were
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#109808 - 10/24/07 11:55 AM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: KG2V]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
kc2ixe,

How about one of these?

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/browseAllProducts.aspx

I may have to go buy one now that you brought it up. grin

#109812 - 10/24/07 12:25 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: Blitz]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
thing that bugs me - the fireproof ones are not listed as waterproof
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#109813 - 10/24/07 12:46 PM Re: SOCAL FIRES: What YOU can do now. [Re: KG2V]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
All of the waterproof boxes are fireproof as well, some moreso than others. Most are rated up to 1550 degrees for 1/2 hour. One is rated up to 1700 for 1 hour. You can tell by the Icons listed just above the specs. Your right though, not all fireproof boxes are waterproof.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.