Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109537 - 10/22/07 09:11 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: celler]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: celler
I just want to hear the whole story before conclude that its just Darwinism at work.

+1, celler.

People are so quick to criticize others based on the scantest information. Same thing happened after Katrina regarding those still in NOLA, and yet, if you took the time to find out why people stayed (or couldn't leave), then you suddenly realize that you might've done exactly the same thing if you were in their shoes.

Katrina also really rammed home the point to me that when you're watching some crisis unfolding on TV in realtime, much of the information you get later turns out to be wrong, too. Very wrong. But everyone keeps repeating the same incorrect info over and over because it sounds dramatic, and you hear it repeated until everyone takes it for gospel truth. I would not be surprised if this "so many people refused to leave" thing in San Diego county turns out to be a gross exagerration.

#109555 - 10/22/07 10:29 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Grant]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
There is no law or any guarantee that grants you personal protection from any one or anything including yourself. Also Law enforcement and rescue personnel are not required by law to place themselves in harms way for any one or any reason, although they do so on a daily basis. They do so out of compassion and a very defined sense of DUTY and HONOR. Not because they are afraid of getting in trouble.

#109556 - 10/22/07 10:34 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: MartinFocazio]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Friends of mine got out of one of the effected areas early this am. He, his wife and 3 kids were ready to go 20 minutes after they got the evac. order. They went through a similar situation a few years back and learned some important lessons. Now all five family members have go bags and it payed off today.

Today, because they were already equipped, they had time to gather family data and keepsakes ie: documents, pictures, jewelry in case they return to a burned out shell of a house.

This was in stark contrast all their neighbours who were rushing around like fools, trying to stuff all kinds of junk into their vehicles...

#109560 - 10/22/07 10:53 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"People sometimes chose to not evacuate when the evacuation may be more hazardous than bugging-in."

This particular thread is about people refusing to evacuation in front of a pending firestorm. Unless you've got a really good hole in the ground, there ARE no worse hazards.

A lot of these people CAN evacuate, but they would rather stand on the roof with their hose, obviously not noticing that the heat is drying the roof just as fast as they wet it down. Or they stand around, wondering if they REALLY need to evacuate, and the flames are in the trees upwind of their house.

When you've got fires like this, there is NOTHING you can do but leave the area. It doesn't matter if you think God will protect you, or the wind may shift, or whatever pea-brained idea you've got is, but THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO, so get out of the gd'd way!

I'm with the Darwin idea. Some people are too stupid to live, so let them make their own decisions, but if they change their mind and call to be saved, well, it's just too bad. They made the wrong decision when they had a decision to make.

Sue

#109562 - 10/22/07 10:57 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...if they change their mind and call to be saved, well, it's just too bad. They made the wrong decision when they had a decision to make...."

Much as I hate to do it ( smile smile :)), I've gotta agree with you (again). By being stupid they are endangering the firefighters, and the property of many others. They do not have the right to do that, in my opinion...

#109584 - 10/22/07 11:51 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Arney]
colbyhouse Offline

Maybe they could evacuate everyone to the Staples Center and not let them leave...

#109588 - 10/23/07 12:09 AM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: MartinFocazio]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Personally, I think the evacuation orders should read, “If you choose to leave, Godspeed to you. If you choose to stay, you will be helping us carry hoses. Thank you in advance.”

#109605 - 10/23/07 02:55 AM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Susan]
BachFan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York City
Sing it, sister!

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

#109672 - 10/23/07 02:21 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Arney]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
As supremely annoying as it is to deal with, Darwinism for humans invovles helping out the slowest, dumbest, ugliest member of the clan/city/civilization because that might be the guy who accidentally bangs two rocks together and cuts himself on the resulting edge, or who's kid invents the polio vaccine. We're a species which passes most of the important information by language and less by genetics. We no longer benefit from these people dying in a fire so the "Fire=Bad" gene wins over the "Home=Good" gene. So I say, find some way to punish them if their actions endangered firefighters or destroyed property. But as satisfying as it would be for those people to burn to death or suffocate in the smoke, unfortunately we're really not benefited as humans by allowing that to happen.

#109686 - 10/23/07 03:17 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Grant]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: Grant
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
I have a novel idea - don't run around and try to save them - let Darwin take it's course, and the NEXT time, people WILL leave

Believe me, I sympathize with this sentiment, but in California (and probably most other states) police, fire and rescue personnel are required by law to provide assistance to anyone needing it. I can't decide to rescue this person but not that one simply because I think the second guy should have known better and has caused his own problem.

kc2ixe, it's just a shame that your idea is "novel"!...when it should be the norm!

Grant, you're right about those personnel being required by law to render assistance and, as someone else already said, most of them would do it willingly, with or without a legal requirement. But this isn't about whether or not they should help (although I agree with kc2ixe), it's about whether or not they should even be placed into the position to have to help! Like most said, those that stay (peabrains that they are), place not only rescuers in danger, but others as well!

The best idea yet? Who was it that said.....get out and we'll handle it. Stay and you now work for us.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.