Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#109616 - 10/23/07 03:57 AM Font Hill Museum Flashlight Tour this Saturday
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm lifting a couple of posts in their entirety from an ETS thread from 11/08, just in case anyone is interested.

From Martin Focazio:

Now I'll share a spouse story.

It was back before we were married, and we were in Doylestown, PA.
There's this cool place called the Font Hill Museum, made by Henry Mercer an eccentric genius (aren't they all). His home was a castle made of cement.
(link: http://www.mercermuseum.org/fonthill/index.html ).

One evening, we were walking in the park by the museum and we noticed that it was open. We went over, and asked what was going on, as usually the museum was closed at night.

There was a once-a-year tour of all the furthest reaches of the home, but in order to participate, you had to have a flashlight because there was no lighting in the far reaches of the building.. Paula (then my girlfriend, now my wife of 9 happy years), said, "Oh, well, maybe next year" and I said "I have a flashlight!" and from my pocket came an "AA" Maglight and we went on the tour. To this day, I feel naked without a flashlight.

From ParamedicPete:

That is without a doubt, one of the neatest places in the world. Henry Mercer, had the foresight to see that with the advancing industrial revolution, that many of the tools associated with traditional trades and crafts, were becoming quickly obsolete and becoming scare. He collected everything and setup his museum by trades/crafts, as well as items associated with everyday living. The place is truly unique and worthwhile visiting, especially if you have children, as they get to see many of the actual tools used for many trades/arts, which are rarely practiced today. From a survival/self-reliance point of view, they can see how tools were constructed, so if the need arises they may have a visual memory of how to build the tool.

Martin, if you hear of the extended tour coming up, could you please post the date(s) and time(s).

I ran across those posts on a search for CERT info, and out of curiosity, clicked on Martin's link (now incorrect, but it will get you there eventually). I looked down the Calendar of Events and discovered that the flashlight tour that Martin referred to will be taking place this coming Saturday night, October 27.

I know that's short notice, but if you'll just happen to be in the area, it looks like an interesting place to visit.

From the site:
Saturday October 27th, 2007 - 7-9 pm - Behind the Scenes Tour This evening guided tour travels up to Fonthill’s tower and down through its back passages. Fee: $15 ($12 BCHS members). Bring a flashlight! Registration required, 215-348-9461, ext. 10.

For more info: http://www.mercermuseum.org/

I wish I could go!

Sue

#109679 - 10/23/07 02:50 PM Re: Font Hill Museum Flashlight Tour this Saturday [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The tour is October 27th - that's cool.

That's exactly 11 Years and a Day past the day I married Paula.

We're still very much in love, our third child is on the way....and I still carry a flashlight all the time.

We are in the area of Font Hill a LOT. Doylestown is a wonderful place.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.