Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109477 - 10/22/07 02:10 PM Helping residents who ignored evacuation orders...
MartinFocazio Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
From CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/22/wildfire.ca/index.html

RAMONA, California (CNN) -- Helping residents who ignored evacuation orders diverted fire crews away from firefighting efforts Monday as wildfires burned out of control in the San Diego area, officials said.

"We've been unable to do any suppression effort because, in most cases, the fire resources are being used ... to do rescues," said Bill Metcalf, chief of the North County Fire Protection District in Fallbrook.

Metcalf said the wildfire situation in the San Diego area "has gotten dramatically worse overnight."

As the sun rose in Southern California, "we're faced with a situation ... which is worse than many of us could've imagined," Metcalf said.

Authorities ordered thousands of Southern Californians to evacuate Sunday and Monday as at least 12 wildfires, driven by hurricane-force winds, set trees, cars and buildings on fire.

Officials reported at least one death and 17 injuries Sunday.

A long line of vehicles streamed westward out of Ramona, northeast of San Diego, on Monday morning after the mandatory evacuation order as flames of the Witch wildfire closed rapidly on the San Diego County community of 10,000 homes.

(Continued Online)

FOLKS: If this isn't the definition of "Go Time" I don't know what is.
I feel bad that this is about to get really, really, really a whole lot worse because RIGHT NOW is the time that they need suppression the most, RIGHT NOW is when they need the roads as clear as possible, RIGHT NOW is when they don't need to be racing to help a diabetic emergency when a firefighter might be burned trying to save a chunk of the city.

For those who ignored the evacuation order, shame on you, all of you. For those of you who were equipped and got out of the way, thank you.

#109490 - 10/22/07 02:36 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation orders... [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Well spoken!

#109503 - 10/22/07 04:32 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation orders... [Re: wildman800]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I have a novel idea - don't run around and try to save them - let Darwin take it's course, and the NEXT time, people WILL leave
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#109505 - 10/22/07 04:43 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation orders... [Re: MartinFocazio]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Too bad they can't bill them for the "free" government services. If people understood how much they were costing their neighbors, in money, inconvenience and increasd risk, they might think twice.

On second thought, the Darwin option sounds right.

#109516 - 10/22/07 06:28 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: DesertFox]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I'm literally in the area it feels like I just drove to through the night to get back home!! My school was let out just after 1st period (we have 55 minute periods).

-JAce

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#109517 - 10/22/07 06:36 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: climberslacker]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

Some people are here simply to serve as an example for others...

Save children, infirmed, and addle-minded; allow adults to appreciate the consequences inherent in their decisions.

#109528 - 10/22/07 08:04 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: OutdoorDad]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
That drives me nuts. I mean, seriously, this crap happens every October. How do people NOT know what to do? Darwinism needs to be reinstated.

Jace, did you ever get your school kit in order? If so, how's it working out with the fire situation?

#109531 - 10/22/07 08:19 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: KG2V]
Grant Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
I have a novel idea - don't run around and try to save them - let Darwin take it's course, and the NEXT time, people WILL leave

Believe me, I sympathize with this sentiment, but in California (and probably most other states) police, fire and rescue personnel are required by law to provide assistance to anyone needing it. I can't decide to rescue this person but not that one simply because I think the second guy should have known better and has caused his own problem.

#109533 - 10/22/07 08:37 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Grant]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
police, fire and rescue personnel are required by law to provide assistance to anyone needing it

IIRC There was a lawsuit several years ago where someone sued the local law enforcement for failing to protect them. The resulting decision was that the police existed to protect the population as a whole but could not be held liable for failing to protect a particular individual.

I'd have no problem with patrols having a pad of forms stating "I have been advised to evacuate & choose not to do so. XYZ services may not be available until the order is lifted. The municipality is hereby immunized from all litigation. Signed _____" You have the option of leaving or signing the form.

It would be more effective for something like a hurricane where there's more warning. For the fires they'd probably have to be in an area that the fire hadn't reached yet unless the evac notice is sufficiently large.

#109534 - 10/22/07 08:43 PM Re: Helping residents who ignored evacuation order [Re: Grant]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
The news media sometimes has a tendancy to paint matters as black or white when the issue may be gray. People sometimes chose to not evacuate when the evacuation may be more hazardous than bugging-in. Its hard for us to judge their actions as we are not there. I'm not making excuses for those who may have indeed "ignored" the order.

Here in Florida, you may be under an evacuation order, but where do you evacuate to?? To I-95 to be stranded in traffic when the hurricane hits? To run out of gas in Jacksonville and be preyed upon by criminal elements? Fires are indeed a different animal and require different tactics. I just want to hear the whole story before conclude that its just Darwinism at work.

YMMV

Craig.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (MartinFocazio), 537 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.