I don't use an Altoids tin, but use a small Tupperware container about 1/2 larger than an Altoids tin. I keep about a dozen items in it to cover fire starting, small pocket knife, fishing kit, water purification, needles and carpet thread, 10' of strong multipurpose cordage, emergency whistle, signal mirror, button compass, AAA flashlight, fine point tweezer, minibic and waterproof matches, flint and steel. It's handy, fits in cargo pocket, backpack, etc.

I'm frequently in the woods hiking and fishing, so I like to be prepared. I also keep a few food items and diabetes testing kit and extra medication in my backpack. It wouldn't do to have a diabetic episode in the woods alone.

My kit can handle all of the primary needs. I have read too many stories about people who get themselves in trouble or hurt without so much as a pack of matches in their pocket.
I almost never go anywhere without an Arcteryx daypack, which also holds a substantial first aid and trauma kit. I am a former medic and have many items most people would not have in a kit. Too many people rely on small bandaides and that's all.

And I'm never without a substantial folding knife or fixed blade nearby that can create a shelter.

The bottom line is knowing that I have a small pocket kit I can rely on while the man on the tv is trying to ceate a fish hook out of a piece glass he found.