Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10869 - 11/26/02 04:45 PM Jansport Rainier Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello<br>everyone<br><br>Does anyone have or ever used the Jansport Rainier Pack.<br>I thinking about buying one but before I do I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.<br>You can see it here www.Jansport.com<br>Thanks

#10870 - 11/27/02 02:14 AM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't used the Rainier, but I feel that Jansport is a second string company, behind outfits like Gregory, Dana, Kelty, Arc'teryx, and even North Face. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anybody dying as a result of using their products. They are probably not a bad value.<br><br>I would recommend a frameless backpack rather than a frame type. They carry much better, especially if you ever start scrambling around off trail (and inevitably you will, sooner or later) and are a lot more versatile. Frame backpacks are best used for really weird loads on the heavy side, like chain saws or mammoth femurs.

#10871 - 11/27/02 03:32 AM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
We have three Jansport frameless packs (Alaska and the next size down - Rockies???). As Hikerdon wrote, they are not among the best, but they are not junk either. They are not even close in a number of areas to 3 Kelty frameless packs we have (and I rate Kelty as "Good" but not top-of-the-line). However, the Jansports are holding up remarkably well for our three sons and they certainly like them... FWIW, I never could get a Jansport frameless pack to fit me well - someting was just not quite right each time I've tried. But at the price we paid for them they were a great value - and when the boys wear these out they will have a good idea of what they like and do not like. No regrets at all about purchasing them despite my slightly negative reaction to them. And I like (for the price) the Jansport accessory pouches enough to use one regularly on a couple of other packs (I move the pouch from pack to pack - it's the contents that I want with me), as does my wife.<br><br>My brother has a frame-type Jansport pack (or two) and he likes it rather well. I have a more traditional frame (original model Freighter frame by Camp Trails) on its second or third set of harness so I'm pre-disposed to not like the Jansport frame... my impression is some folks love the frame and some detest it.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

#10872 - 11/27/02 03:37 PM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ayers makes an important point. Fit is critical. If it fits, and you will know this only after renting a model for a trial hike or at least loading up the pack and wearing it around the store for a long time, it is good for you. Some really good packs will not fit your bod, and others will. A second string model that fits is better than a top of the line type that doesn't.

#10873 - 11/27/02 04:32 PM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, another huge consideration is the size of the pack. Do you really need 5200ci that expands to over 7000ci, or would a 3600ci pack better meet your needs.

#10874 - 11/27/02 10:38 PM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replys

#10875 - 12/02/02 05:29 AM Re: Jansport Rainier Backpack
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I own the Ranier, along with a number of other externals and internals. On most of my trips that are not day hikes, I choose my Ranier.<br><br>Best advice given to me: borrow or rent and try some out. <br><br>BTW, I removed the foam back pad and replaced it with two cross strings (lighter & cooler). I, also, drilled approx 410 1/8" holes into the aluminum frame, with no adverse affect, as of yet. <br><br>Xavier - Phoenix, AZ<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.