Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#108398 - 10/11/07 08:58 PM GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Okay. I've been leeching off of your collective knowledge all week and I feel compelled to start sharing some of mine to balance the Karma out a bit.

Fluid film is a multipurpose lubricant/rust inhibitor that can be used for so many things, it staggers the imagination. I use it around the house and garage for a ton of things including many uses on my gear.

I use it on anything that needs to be lubricated and rust/oxidation free including all my knives and just about everything that's metal, including aluminum...it oxidizes too! In fact if I buy a knife, it's not ready to be used IMO until the blade has been given a good rub down with Fluid Film.

I also use it on any leather including my boots, gloves, belts and sheathes as it keeps the leather pliable and weatherproofed.

Anything I have using rubber o-rings (especially if they rub like the o-rings on my mag light) get a light coating of Fluid Film to lube and protect the o-rings...and to get a better seal.

It can be used on just about everything. It can be used to lube and protect firearms, fishing reels, tools, or even undercoating on vehicles.

The stuff is non-toxic, non-sticky, environmentally friendly, safe on plastic and paint, solvent free, doesn't dry out, has an indefinite shelf life, and won't collect dirt and gum stuff up. It was originally designed for the military to keep the ballast tanks of Submarines from rusting...potent stuff!

The aerosol can's are only good for a year but you can buy it in bulk if you need...the fluid itself never goes bad. One aerosol can lasts me a LONG time used sparingly (a little of this stuff goes a long way).

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

I'm trying to figure out how I can put some in my BOB as the cans only come in fairly large sizes so I can take some with me anywhere I happen to need some.

#108405 - 10/11/07 09:37 PM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Wow! It's also: "Fluid FilmŪ is an excellent release agent for snow, and will help keep snow and ice from building up or sticking to snow equipment."

Thank you for the information! I've been looking for such an "absolute" lubricant for quite a while!

Regarding the BOB. If you don't want to buy a gallon can (instead of aerosol can), just spray some quantity into a Ziplock freezer bag, and then collect it with a disposable plastic syringe of a desired size. Release any air. Put the original cap on the needle - ready for BOB.

If you're desperately want to have a spray action. You can try small gardening spray bottles. But the results depends on viscosity of the lubricant.

I'm using a pen-like dispenser with regular watch oil. That one is good even for EDC, but I'm not sure if it's possible to refill one with anything else.

Edited by Alex (10/11/07 09:48 PM)

#108433 - 10/12/07 03:31 AM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

An interesting product. In the past some otherwise good lubricants have proved unacceptable for stored firearms due to penetration and degradation of ammunition. Do you have any info as to whether FF has or does not have this drawback?

#108442 - 10/12/07 04:17 AM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: acropolis5]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't own a single firearm so I don't have any experience with this (I mainly mentioned it because I know many of you do).

The site says this about using it on firearms:

Spray on rag and then rub down firearm, leaving a thin film residue which will not leave fingerprints or come off on hands or clothes. Tack-free mechanism lubrication. Use on bolts, slides and magazines. Will not affect bluing. Good for wood-stock.

and from the FAQ section:

Can I use Fluid FilmŪ on firearms?

Yes. Apply Fluid FilmŪ to a clean dry rag, rubbing into metal surface as would be done with a polish or a wax. Will not leave fingerprints or affect bluing. The lanolin base of Fluid FilmŪ will also act as a conditioner on wood stock. Fluid FilmŪ will hold up in extreme conditions.

It is a fantastic penetrative but I can only assume that because you're using it in such small quantities, it wouldn't get into the ammo unless you drenched the gun with it. It's relatively thick and stays in place very well. I use it to lube the chains on my motorcycles and I get next to no fling.

#108493 - 10/12/07 07:53 PM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: ]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Looks like a great product, even available in a Food Grade spec.

#108499 - 10/12/07 08:29 PM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: OIMO]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I just now thought of a new one...axe heads!

What better way to help an axe slide into a piece of wood AND protect from rust, AND help keep pitch from sticking to it.

Too bad I don't carry an axe when I go hiking hahaha.

#108508 - 10/12/07 09:36 PM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: ]
comlpro Offline

It seems to be pretty good stuff, but it smells kind of wierd.

#108528 - 10/13/07 12:11 AM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: comlpro]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The Material Safety Data Sheets indicate that it is a "Petroleum Oil Mist", except for the food grade, which is white mineral oil.

And isn't mineral oil just mineral oil?

Sue

#108529 - 10/13/07 12:13 AM Re: GEAR CARE: The wonders of Fluid Film [Re: Susan]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The food grade stuff might be mineral oil but the main Fluid Film product is based on Lanolin aka wool wax.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.