Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108114 - 10/09/07 04:41 AM Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from?
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I was under the impression that military MREs weren't available to the public, but there are a bunch on Ebay. Are these okay to eat? Are they some sort of inferior product? Any other issues?

Thank you very much.

#108118 - 10/09/07 08:28 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: xavier01]
LED Offline
Veteran

Those could either be people selling military issue MRE's or one of many imitation brands. Sometimes its hard to tell and you have no real way of knowing the expiration date, etc. IMO, if you can afford it, the best option would be to buy the "civilian" version MRE's from one of the four companies that makes them for the military. That way you have a basic quality and expiration date gurantee.

Here's a good website with information on MRE's.

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html

From the website under "civilian MRE's"

Quote:

Fortunately, around 2005, the civilian MRE market picked back up and more companies began producing legitimate, branded civilian MREs. All three of the major manufacturers of MREs for the military (Ameriqual, Sopakco, Wornick) now produce their own civilian MRE, too. Additionally, International Meals Supply, a certified supplier of emergency rations for the Department of Defense, has joined the civilian MRE race with their new "MREStar" product.

Edited by LED (10/09/07 08:34 AM)

#108119 - 10/09/07 08:41 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: LED]
simplesimon Offline

If you known anyone in the military, they'll gladly use some supermarket food on exercise and sell you their MREs for beer money. MRE's are dearer than food from a shop so they can make on it.
simon

#108120 - 10/09/07 09:18 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: simplesimon]
LED Offline
Veteran

I agree that if you've got a friend willing to give/trade you some MRE's its a good way to go. But again, if you have the money, with the commercial version you get a variety of 12 full course meals. Over priced? Probably. But at least you know what you're getting. Having said that, I don't own any, but if I had the cash I'd buy a Sopako 12pack. I'd be awsome to go camping and not have to cook.

#108123 - 10/09/07 11:24 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: LED]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I bought 6 cases of the military MRE's off of Ebay. I haven't had any problems with them, all have the dates clearly marked on each case. All I can say about Ebay is check the sellers feedback, that usually tells if there is a problem.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#108133 - 10/09/07 01:27 PM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I'll second Ebay for MRE's, (although I'm beginning to dislike Ebay for unrelated reasons.) I've never had a problem with the quality or taste of the military rations either. I like the fact that the packaging appears to be able to withstand anything. Does anybody know if the civilian versions are packaged as tough as the military version?

#108135 - 10/09/07 01:33 PM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: xavier01]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands

#108173 - 10/09/07 07:39 PM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: xavier01]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone been able to get hold of the some First Strike Rations? I think these were a development of the indestructible sandwich and the dehydrated ration you could urinate on to rehydrate them. Heck you would only need 1 chemical heater rather than 2 to heat them up. Gee those boffins at Natick are really clever smile

#108205 - 10/10/07 02:28 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: xavier01]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A lot of them "fell off the back of the truck." Others were distributed by FEMA by the case after Katrina and these are the left overs.

Ignoring the legal issues, I wouldn't touch them. You have no idea how they were stored- MREs can tank in a few months if stored someplace very warm, say in a mechanical space. What I'd really like to see is one of the contractors producing exactly the same items, either assembled or ala carte, in civilian packaging. What we have is close, so... But at least buying a commercially produced and distributed item means you've got better odds of it being stored properly than "surplus" ones.

Me, I'm waiting for a civilian First Strike as well. Sounds like the best thing for BOB.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108212 - 10/10/07 03:51 AM Re: Where are the Ebay military MREs coming from? [Re: xavier01]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Xavier
The company I use, Emergency Essentials is a good choice
www.beprepared.com
I have used them for over seven years for my church and we have never had trouble with the MRE's from them. in fact, it's time to rotate them. "shrugs" Oh well will have to wait till I'm back from vacation

Goin' to Indiana see ya in a couple of weeks

Mike
"OUT"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 636 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.