Compound is the way to go. I agree with my brethren about the reputable dealer, they can usually run you through the vocabulary and the setups. You can spend an awful lot for a compound bow, so do some shopping. Balance is key, don't worry about all the extras, just find a good bow and the rest will come. The extras can be pretty pricey. Most "kits" will come with the bow and quiver that attaches to the bow and some basic sites. The immediate extras would be a release and arrows. I personally like aluminum for price reasons and I just have always shoot them. I have a Bear bow, it's killed deer so if it ain't broke don't fix it...right? Other good brands in my area, PSE, Hoyt, Matthews. If you have a Bass Pro shop nearby, they have a large selection and reasonably intelligent staff.

I will say that I DO like the “Whisker biscuit” type arrow rest. It's real comforting to know that once I put an arrow in and nock it...it's not going to fall off. I deer hunt alot and it's nice to be able to hang your bow and not worry about the arrow falling out and clanging.