Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105616 - 09/14/07 03:04 AM 406 PERB question
schaz Offline

Loc: California
I ordered a resq-fix a few days ago, and am expecting it to appear tomorrow, UPS willing.

I was talking about it at my local FBO and the owner of the FBO had some interesting comments on what he says is the procedure followed when you set off a 406 Mhz beacon. I don't know if he is correct or not, which is why I am writing.

He states that no SAR assets will be activated unless the SARSATs pick up two consecutive hits from the exact same location. He went on to say that if you pick up the beacon and move to the other side of the plane, the GPS location transmitted will change, so SAR activation will be delayed until the beacon is left in place for at least two sat passes. He further stated that if you move the beacon, the sats will ignore it until it is stationary for two passes again.

As stated above, I am asking if this is really the way it works.

I will remain happy with my purchase in either case, and hope, of course, that I never need to use it. But getting information on what happens after activation WILL effect HOW I use it, if G-d forbid I need to.

Thanks for your help.

Seth

#105632 - 09/14/07 10:42 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: schaz]
WScott Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
If that's true, you'd be in bad shape if you were down in the drink. Even if you had a life raft, unless you could hold it dead still for 2 sat passes SAR would never respond.

FBO? Should that be added to the acronym list?

#105633 - 09/14/07 11:39 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: WScott]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
FBO = Fixed Base Operator. The business at an airport that provides services to General Aviation planes and pilots. They sell you fuel, maintenance, etc.

#105801 - 09/16/07 02:03 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: WScott]
schaz Offline

I agree with you, that you would be in real trouble in a raft, which is one of the things that prompted the question.

I received the beacon on Friday and, in reading the directions, see that its guaranteed battery life is 24 hours in temperatures from -4F to 130F, and at least 8 hours in temperatures between -40F and -4F.

My first thought was to keep it inside my parka if I need to activate it. Did I mention that I am going to take it to Alaska in December for some work I will be doing there? But the directions say that it should have a clear view of the sky, unobstructed by structure or clothing. They also warn against blocking it with your head while checking to see if the LEDs are flashing. So keeping it warm in my parka while it is operating looks to be out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the battery life, or, since it is reporting my Lat and Long, should I just not worry about it?

Thanks again

Seth

#105807 - 09/16/07 02:44 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: schaz]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Schaz,

To extend battery life in a field computer in the winter I have placed hand-warmer packs around the unit to keep it warm.

This should work with a PLB but I have never tried it.

Mike

#105815 - 09/16/07 03:44 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: SwampDonkey]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
There are two affects at work here.

1. A battery's self-discharge rate is lower at cooler temperatures. Storing a device in cool temperatures slows the loss of power over a battery's life.

2. The amount of energy that can be extracted from a battery goes up with higher (reasonable) temperatures. In other words, the amp-hours may be there, but the device may not be able to use them until the battery is warmed up.

The PLB can't be inside a parka or clothing when running. But if there is a motor running or some other source of heat perhaps the PLB can be atop it for warmth once activated.

I am puzzled as to what sort of batteries PLBs use. The operating temperature range and 5 year shelf life imply Lithium ... but I'd expect a 10-20 year shelf life in that case.

And the run time seems short ... if caught in a blizzard I'd be tempted to wait to hit the button until I thought SARS could get out so my beacon would still be running as they tried to close in on me.

#105820 - 09/16/07 04:30 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: schaz]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Is a PLB the same as a 406mh PERB?

I listened to 2 interviews of the author of Lone Survivor.
He turned his military-PLB off to save batteries, when he was in
a poor locations. I believe he timed the "on" mode to satellite
position (overhead). He was also "on the move" so that might have
slowed his extraction.

I do not see the reasoning behind "not moving" criteria.
"He moved 400 yards in the last 4 hours so he must not need
help", is this an example of the SAR boss's reasoning?
Obviously, people, who are moving, can still need help.

I thought that a PLB may not always transmit position, for
example, a narrow canyon situation. But the position of the
satellite (receiver) or the position of the airplane (receiver),
in such a case, could be a starting point.

#105903 - 09/16/07 10:59 PM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: Hike4Fun]
duckear Offline
Addict

I call BS on the FBO.

One ping and the phone calls start to the numbers your registered when you went to the NOAA, website to see if you really may be in a situation to need help. If they cant confirm a false alert, the right folks are alerted.

Link to NOAA's FAQ page for further reading.

And a link for even more reading on how the system works.

Edited by duckear (09/16/07 11:04 PM)

#105908 - 09/16/07 11:07 PM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: Hike4Fun]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've heard of EPIRB (ship/boat), ELT (aircraft) & PLB (person). I don't know what a PERB is.

#105941 - 09/17/07 03:11 AM Re: 406 PERB question [Re: duckear]
schaz Offline

Great articles.

Thanks for your help.

Seth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.