Check out the iFinder Hunt C Plus (I used mine every time I am near the deep coastal forest)

It has hunting specific icons for creating your waypoints like deer tracks, tree stand, scrapes... It has a huge screen, too.

The plus comes with the Mapping software CDs! It not only has all the Topos in the US - It also has all the hunting units! That is a HUGE bonus when you are near the edge of your unit.

Quote:
The iFinder Hunt C Plus from Lowrance is geared to Hunters due to its rugged, waterproof design, electronic compass and barometric altimeter . The iFinder Hunt has a 2.83” diagonal display with a 320x240 high-resolution color screen with a backlit keypad. It contains a 16 channel WAAS* antenna for exceptional accuracy. The iFinder Hunt C+ has a built-in US basemap showing highway detail and a general coastal outline of waterways, lakes and rivers. The basemap can be further enhanced with the included MapCreate mapping software or an optional detailed marine chart from Navioincs. The Hunt Color has an impressive built-in memory for up to 2000 waypoints and 100 savable plot trails with up to 10,000 points. There are also 42 different icons you can use to help identify your waypoints on screen. The iFinder Hunt is waterproof to IPX7 standards, so it is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. The map has 40 zoom ranges from 0.02 to 4000 miles and the iFinder Hunt has dedicated zoom in/ zoom out keys. Other features include RealTree Hardwoods HD camo case, Built-in Microphone, audible alarms and backtrack feature to retrace your path. 1 year warranty. * While the regular GPS signal is available worldwide, the WAAS signal is currently available in the US only in open areas or on the water.
source

You can also drop in the NAV chip which may be used to navigate/fish the North American waterways!

I'll admit it... I have used it on the way back from a trip to find the nearest 7-eleven (worked very well too).

So let's see...
  • Mapping software
  • storage of maps
  • works well under tree cover and in valleys
  • color screen
  • doesn't do the turn by turn but does have hunting units on the maps
  • uses standard AA batteries
  • tough and waterproof

Edited by OutdoorDad (09/28/07 01:42 PM)
Edit Reason: added photo