Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#107026 - 09/25/07 11:28 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: CBTENGR]
Grant Offline
Stranger

Wow! With all that gear in your canvas briefcase, do you have any room for work stuff? I'm afraid that my briefcase (a canvas bag with shoulder strap) is full to the brim with papers, books. lunch, coffee thermos, etc. I have most of the stuff on your list in a separate "get home" bag in my office, but for walk around readiness I rely on that M-1 belt pouch filled as described in my original post. That pouch is usually in my briefcase, but if I'm wearing a jacket and expect to be out and about a lot I may move the M-1 to my belt. On my key chain I have a Photon light and a REI whistle. In my pocket I have a bandana. On my belt I also have a cell phone pouch that has room for an all-weather pen and several sheets of all-weather paper.

#107134 - 09/27/07 03:00 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
CBTENGR Offline

I do not have a seperate get home bag because I may be at several locations in one day. I drive a car to work and do not rely on public transportation, so I do have a lot of room in my canvas bag. I usually carry lunch in a seperate bag.

#107321 - 09/29/07 03:32 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I'd rather have a multitool than a knife. I'm not familiar with that e/303. It looks like it includes screwdrivers, which is good, but I'd consider replacing it with something like a Juice S2, which in addition to a blade has pliers, scissors, several sizes of screwdriver, and wire-cutters. It's slightly heavier at 125g (as opposed to 111g for the knife), but slightly shorter at 3.25" closed (versus 3.875"). For me it comes down to which I'd rather be trapped in a lift with.

I'd add a hacksaw blade so you have something which can cut metal. I know you said "no saws", but in an urban environment you may need to work on made-made things which means metal and wires. Just the blade takes very little room.

I'd echo CBTENGR's comments about light. In the wilderness I doubt its ever truly dark, but indoors it is, and it only takes a powercut to get there. And if you can't see it's hard to do anything else. It's the one area I'd consider redundancy. A head light is very handy because it leaves your hands free to work. Given you have a photon on the keyring I'd put an e+Lite in the waist pack.

Water is bulky and heavy and I can understand not wanting to carry it. I don't think you can fit enough drinking water into this pack to make a difference. Personally if I was going on something like a subway I'd carry a bulkier pack.

That said, I would try to squeeze in some water for first-aid use. I am not an expert on first aid so I may be talking rubbish here, but I think if you have to clean a wound when you are, eg, stuck in a tunnel and have no running water nearby, then even a little water will help. I'd consider replacing the anti-bacterial wipes with one or more steripods. These are sealed plastic tubes of 15ml or 20ml sterile saline. You can use them on eyes, or just for general wound irrigation and cleaning. You break the end-tab off and it has a squirty nozzle. When the saline is all gone you can refill it from other water sources - it's not as good as a proper irrigation syringe but better than nothing.

I don't think I'd bother with the Cliff Bar. Food wouldn't be my priority when there is so little space.

As KevinB suggests, I'd carry a bandanna in a back-pocket for medical uses - I think thin silk ones are more versatile than cheaper cotton ones. I like the 33" ones which have a diagonal long enough to bind any part of my body.

Finally with most kits I end up using cotton wool or Tinder-Quik tabs to stuff the corners, use up any spare space and prevent rattling.

To summarise:
Remove knife, Cliff bar, anti-bacterial wipes and photon light.
Add multitool, steripod, e+Lite, hacksaw blade.
Bandanna in pocket.

Overall, though, I thought you had a pretty good kit

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.