Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106863 - 09/24/07 08:39 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Grant
With all the stuff I listed it is already full...I'd like to squeeze in one of those individual pouches of water that Datrex markets, but I haven't tried it yet

Don't know that you'll have much luck fitting in a Datrex water pack without tossing other essentials. The water pouch will take up quite a bit of room in that little M-1.

Originally Posted By: Grant
...as a couple of you have pointed out, the advantage of a small bottle or container is that it can be refilled.

How about upgrading the already-carried plastic sandwich bag containing your first aid items, to something a little more heavy-duty, with modestly more bulk, e.g. Gerber bag, Ziploc quart-size freezer bag, Ziploc Zip 'n Steam. The plastic bags provided in the produce or meat departments of the supermarket are fairly large, strong, water-tight – when rolled/folded, take next to no space. Hold water well if you loosely knot the top after filling.

Maybe this is cheating on your requirement not to increase pouch-size, but have you considered carrying the Leatherman on your belt in a separate pouch? Something like the TAD S2. Would free-up some space; probably wouldn't notice if next to your already-worn cell phone holster; you wear a jacket, so would cover-up nicely (assuming doesn't violate concealed weapon laws).

The M-1 is cool gear, but you're losing interior storage space to the design/construction of the M-1. The 1000-Denier material, divided compartments, and front flap (with cramped zippered-storage) and quick release snap are great, but all that takes up room. How about a similar-size pouch, but a little simpler in design and construction, e.g. lighter fabric, one large compartment, etc.

#106866 - 09/24/07 08:57 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: xbanker]
Grant Offline
Stranger

xbanker, thanks for the advice. I will definitely experiment with a more heavy-duty plastic bag that would serve also as a water container. After all, I could always move the first-aid gear into my pockets to free up the bag for water.

I tried carrying the knife on my belt in a pouch. People noticed. In the work culture I inhabit, carrying a knife is very uncool, so I returned it to my M-1.

You're right about the design weaknesses of the M-1 pouch. Can you recommend another product?

#106869 - 09/24/07 09:22 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
You might take a look on the Nite-Ize website under "Mobile Accessories," and the ebags.com website.

And with the zillions of MP3 and digital camera pouches available in every conceivable shape, size and color, might find something there. Even though many come with a shoulder strap, most are also designed for belt-carry. The secondary advantage to such cases is that they look less "tactical" and might fit in more with your day-to-day environment.

#106877 - 09/24/07 10:34 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Andy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
One thing that occured to me this morning, maybe a small bottle of eye drops? If you wear contacts, you know that if something happens, there'll be dust and everything just to make things difficult. Alternately, carry a contact lens case, prefilled with saline. You can have some solution/eye drops and spare glasses in your larger bag. This allows you to take out the troublesome contact, or rinse it and put it back in. Walking/driving with 1 contact in is kind of a hassle, but doable.

#106916 - 09/25/07 04:37 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Andy]
CBTENGR Offline

As far as the chemlights go this is something I've been trying get implimented at my work:

Getting red chemlights to set by all accessible exits should the power go out and the exit signs don't work. Everybody knows that the glow of red means exit in a building.

#106917 - 09/25/07 04:46 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: eric_2003]
CBTENGR Offline

A word on light in the urban environment. I EDC a small light on my keychain, an LED EMT style light in my other pocket, an LED mini mag in my messenger bag as well as a headlamp. If you've been caught at night (or during the day if there aren't any windows) in a building, during a blackout as many times as I (or most city dwellers) have, that light is the difference between getting out of the exit and cracking your head on something you've walked passed a hundred times but never noticed before.

#106945 - 09/25/07 12:53 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: CBTENGR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Once it gets really dark, your eyes adjust and it doesn't take much light to see quite well. A Photon Freedom works for a short while and a 1xAAA LED such as the Peak Matterhorn provides a lot of light in the dark for walking down a hallway. Both are easy to EDC, but so many folks can't be bothered.

#106957 - 09/25/07 01:47 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Some have mentionned work gloves and nitrile gloves. Since space is an issue, I would consider thin leather dress gloves. Another idea would be to carry police search gloves. Here's a primer on it:

Police Search Gloves Guide

Frankie

#107001 - 09/25/07 07:21 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: StuToffee]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: StuToffee
How about some leather work gloves & a small pry bar for if you had to escape through a blocked/jammed door & or broken glass or other obstructions.
For the space that theyd take up, a garbage bag & some paracord would be woth chucking in the bag, too.
How about a rolled-up Platypus bottle that you could fill from your office cooler/bathroom/water fountain? (Some puritabs would be handy too)

The pack he is using would not hold many of the things you suggested. Google "Maxpedition M1" and you'll see that most of us think of something bigger when we think of waistpack. smile

Great idea btw...I was contemplating selling mine because I haven't used it like I thought I would...I may be rethinking that and setting mine up in a similar fashion. Thanks for the idea!

What are you using the water for? If it's for drinking, the Datrex is probably not worth the space...that amount of water won't get you far. If it's for flushing wounds...that's a different story. You might consider povidone iodine wipes (don't remember if that had been suggested). Can't wait to get home and see how much I can stuff in that thing!

#107009 - 09/25/07 08:27 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
CBTENGR Offline

Do you carry any items in your briefcase? I carry the following items on my person:

keychain w/
photon
mini bic lighter
cheap multi tool
howler whistle
braided 550 cord
keychain screwdriver that you can get at any auto shop

I carry a folding knife, small LED and a mini sharpee in my other pocket and a bandana in my back pocket.

In my canvas briefcase I carry:

(2) chemlights
(2) Marathon bars
head lamp
mini mag light
SAK
e-blanket
e-poncho
10 dollars in ones
2 dollars in quarters
mini bic
extra batteries
modified DR PSP
small FAK
leather gloves
wool glove inserts
neck gaiter
baby wipes
hand sanitizer
lip balm
maps of city and surrounding areas
write in the rain notepad
32 oz Nalgene bottle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 363 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.