Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#106592 - 09/21/07 09:14 PM Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is best?
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Did a camping trip. I have no problem washing or reusing '1' spoon as opposed to having 1 plastic spoon for cocoa, coffee, sugar, etc.

I heard that the spoons Wendys give you are lightweight. What do you all have that is "lightweight" but "SOLID"? I've seen many products now.

#106597 - 09/21/07 09:54 PM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is best? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I like the polycarbonate (Lexan) products. I've tried several free ustensils you get in restaurants, several sporks (spoon+fork combo) but at the end of the day, I much prefer a seperate knife, spoon and fork.

Here's what I use, the GSI Thrive set :

#106599 - 09/21/07 09:58 PM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is bes [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Lexan or Ti

#106600 - 09/21/07 10:19 PM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is best? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I had a "Hobo Tool" produced by Ozark Trail (Walmart Brand), but after a few trips I ended up finding that it was not for me. I felt it was too heavy and although it folded, it was ridiculously thick and essentially saved no space because both the fork and spoon were full-size and just as curved as you'd find in real silverware. While it was a nice design element to have the spoon and knife separate from the fork an bottle opener and fold out to full size utensils, this setup left a lot of crevices that were nearly impossible to clean. I also don't need a corkscrew while I'm camping. It was, however, built extremely well, and held up to quite a bit of abuse.

I currently have a "Light My Fire Super Spork". I like the design, it's light, the utensils are useful, and it seems durable. However, every tool meant to do every thing seems to have drawbacks, and with this on its the "knife" edge, which is really a serrated fork tine. I found it rubs a raw spot on the corner of my mouth unless I close my teeth instead of my lips to scrape the food off of the fork. I might sand the serrations off if possible. I think I'd also like to have a separate spoon and fork.

A regular old spoon and fork with holes drilled in the handles to save on weight will be my next trial.

As for a knife... Yeah, it's probably disgusting to a lot of people, but more often than not I use whatever knife is hanging off my belt, whether it be my Aito Puukko, SOG Seal Pup Elite, or other knife. Even when I'm cooking or eating.

#106601 - 09/21/07 10:54 PM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is bes [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

snowpeak titanium spork. was a gift... took a bit of getting used to, but it's practically weightless and won't rust.

http://www.rei.com/product/660002

rei has a cheaper by $1.00 model.

good luck.

#106607 - 09/22/07 12:23 AM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is bes [Re: bsmith]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I bought a few of the Light my Fire's "The Spork" at walmart. I have used the small knife, fork, spoon set on a key ring and also the lexan ones they sell at Gander Mt, but I have decided on the light my fire spork.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106687 - 09/23/07 01:22 AM Re: Spoon & Fork combo- lightweight - which is best? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I used an old USGI mess kit spoon for years, finally retired it for lexan, which I used to this day...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 637 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.