Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#106422 - 09/20/07 01:24 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: frostbite]
Jezcruzen Offline
Stranger

Loc: Virginia
Throw change? Cayanne pepper? Beat them with a umbrella?

Good grief, man! Grow a pair. Arm yourself properly. Don't bring an umbrella to a gun fight. Just because the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. have had their way in disarming honest citizens doesn't mean the riff-raff have cowered to their demands. The riff-raff are packing heat and you better too if you ever have to hoof it home during a SHTF event. Otherwise you're toast. (Be sure your will is current)

Ken, you have the right idea. Get a gun! Check out the Kahr in .40SW.

#106505 - 09/21/07 02:21 AM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: Jezcruzen]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
How many people in NYC died walking home from Manhatten on 9-11? About none?

#106556 - 09/21/07 05:54 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: jshannon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The Manhattan 9-11 incident was too acute to generate a real residual threat. For a durable SHTF incident, I consider what happened to Tom Cruise when he lost the car in his "War of the Worlds" rendition. Arming yourself won't be so much due to predatory circumstances, though they will still be a possibility, but more of an armed response to being overwhelmed by sheer panic. Had Cruise's character been armed with something considerably more substantial, such as an armored car with HK-9s sticking out of gunports, he'd have had little trouble navigating through that crowd. He might've come into some resistance, even someone with something capable of taking out an armored car, but the odds would've been much more in his favor.

#106569 - 09/21/07 07:16 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Totally random thought, but why the sam splint? You break a leg and you're not going anywhere. You break your arm, and you're better off going to the hospital (where it's fairly safe).

You plan on splinting yourself? You ever seen/done a splint before? Kinda painful.

OK, I'll let the debates continue on the original topic.

#106632 - 09/22/07 05:30 AM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: MDinana]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
The Manhattan 9-11 incident was too acute to generate a real residual threat. For a durable SHTF incident, I consider what happened to Tom Cruise when he lost the car in his "War of the Worlds" rendition. Arming yourself won't be so much due to predatory circumstances, though they will still be a possibility, but more of an armed response to being overwhelmed by sheer panic. Had Cruise's character been armed with something considerably more substantial, such as an armored car with HK-9s sticking out of gunports, he'd have had little trouble navigating through that crowd. He might've come into some resistance, even someone with something capable of taking out an armored car, but the odds would've been much more in his favor.

Um, I don't exactly think using a movie like The War of the Worlds is a good idea when it comes to realistic contingency planning. In case of a SHTF situation in urban environment going low profile would seem preferable to running over crowds in an armored car with machine guns. Plus for most people an armed and armored vehicle isn't really an option and traffic congestions would likely prevent you from driving anywhere anyway. I can definitely see how a concealed gun might be a valuable last ditch resource in a serious emergency but it wouldn't be my priority. A little quiet E&E away from the crowded urban areas might be the safest option.

#106639 - 09/22/07 10:41 AM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: MDinana]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Totally random thought, but why the sam splint? You break a leg and you're not going anywhere. You break your arm, and you're better off going to the hospital (where it's fairly safe).

You plan on splinting yourself? You ever seen/done a splint before? Kinda painful.

OK, I'll let the debates continue on the original topic.

I was actually planning on helping others with it. I'm certified in Wilderness First Aid (though this is an urban setting). It doesn't take up much space since I have it folded flat. Maybe it's the Scouter in me.

I agree with Tom_L regarding a quiet E&E, if possible. That is my preference. My plan is to follow the railroad tracks out, since the roads will be lousy and these are a more direct route. Unfortunately, they go through some rough neighborhoods in spots. Be prepared.

#106647 - 09/22/07 01:30 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree, low profile is the way to go. A shotgun is nice but won't stop a whole crowd and is a bit awkward to carry; an armored car is unrealistic. A concealed handgun is always a good thing, but figure the odds of a good guy having one in NYC. Guys who don't give a **** about the law will have them but not the cubicle/office workers in Manhattan. Out here in SOCAL I won't have any firearms if I need to walk home due to where I work and the carry laws. If I'm home that issue goes away.

#106660 - 09/22/07 04:29 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: ScouterMan]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Regarding the quiet E&E, some route review can be useful. I was looking at the Google satellite imagery of the area where I work, and spotted a wooded area and stream leading away from the area. Silly me, I never knew it was there because of all the tall buildings in front of it. You can't see it from street level. Who knows what you may see that will be of use when you look at your potential route from above?

#106736 - 09/23/07 03:29 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: bws48]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I didn't say it would be practical, just more effective. In a rubbled up urban incident, even an armored vehicle armed like Pancho Villa may not achieve bugout success.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.