Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#105918 - 09/17/07 12:08 AM Re: large sewing bobbins exist? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Mike,

Thanks! I guess this is an excuse for me to get a drill!!!!

Kris

#106570 - 09/21/07 07:28 PM Re: large sewing bobbins exist? [Re: SwampDonkey]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi Katie,

Very handy little sewing kit; where did you buy it (I googled Clover but could not find a supplier)?

My mother is always doing mending when she visits us kids or grandchildren and this would be very useful for her.

Thanks,

Mike

Finally found one in the USA

Try
http://www.notions4sewing.com/catalog/item/3109406/2646072.htm#image_1
And it is only $6.75 there... I found it some other places, but they wanted $25.00!!!

I am getting out my credit card right now... Though I am looking for some other things to buy to make the shipping charges worth while... wink

#106571 - 09/21/07 07:40 PM Re: large sewing bobbins exist? [Re: SwampDonkey]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Kris,

I just found a metal bobbin to measure and they are slightly larger in outside diameter than the plastic version by about 0.010".

The metal bobbin materal is thinner therefore it appears that more line could be wound on it; but it would be more difficult to reduce the diameter of the metal bobbin vs the plastic version to allow them to fit to the bottom the matchcase.

The metal bobbins were made by; Prym-Dritz Corp ( www.dritz.com ) of Spartanburg SC, they are called Class 66 Drop-in Bobbins and I bought a pack of 4 at Wal-mart for a couple dollars.

Standard Stuff: I have no connection to the above company, other than there bobbins are in my PSK!

Mike

If you put them at the bottom, you may have to break the case to get them out...
You will need some reliable way of extracting them anyway, as they may tilt a little when you try to drop them out.
Try putting them at the top.
You could try to fit a little metal disk at the bottom with a string attached to the middle and thread the string through the bobbins and put a little screw hook(which can be VERY useful in itself in a survival situation) on the other end to extract them with. If the match holder is going to hold ONLY bobbins, then you could put needles and other wire like devices in the center and could easily extract them by taking off the top bobbin so you could reach the needles. You should glue the metal disk to the bottom bobbin if you want to do this.

#106574 - 09/21/07 08:03 PM Re: large sewing bobbins exist? [Re: CBTENGR]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
It's kind of a pain but I put wire/fishing line on 1 in nails. First I tie the wire to the nail and then put the nail in a Dremel. On low speed I slowly spin the wire on the nail. I've always thought that bobbins were a waste of space as they have the hole in the middle and you can't use an empty bobbin for much. Not so with the nails.

I did the same thing with a set of wood chop sticks. Cut 'em to size and stuck one end into the drill. Not the prettiest setup but its easy and it fits into small, narrow containers.

#106576 - 09/21/07 08:16 PM Re: large sewing bobbins exist? [Re: SwampDonkey]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Kris,

I had no problem reducing the size of a bobbin.

I could not find the correct size dowel to use as a spindle (arbor) so I cut a 3 inch piece off a regular pencil. I tapered one end with a utility knife then locked the other end in the chuck of a power hand drill. I used a file to smooth out the tapered end so the centre of the bobbin would fit onto it snugly.

I pushed the plastic bobbin onto the spindle and held the coarse file of my Leatherman against it, the diameter was reduced quickly. I checked it a couple of times for fit and finished the job with the fine side of the file.

The bobbin now drops easily into the bottom of the matchcase. It now has a diameter of 0.750 inches and a capacity of 25 feet of 50 lb Spiderwire.

Wear safety glasses when doing this modification as the bobbin flew off the spindle once.

Neat idea Kris!

Mike

After you get the spindle the correct size, turn it around and(after putting the bobbin on) put the SMALL end into the chuck... That way the bobbin cannot fly off...
Also, when sizing the spindle, you can chuck the spindle and use the file to re-size it very easily.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 211 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.