The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105208 - 09/10/07 10:09 PM Re: Who "ID's" there Equipment? [Re: Russ]
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: RAS
... I would make zero effort to return gear to the original owner and I'd let everyone know that up front. If they think so little of their gear that they won't keep track of it, I wouldn't obsess over its ownership either.

This sounds pretty harsh, but at that same time a really good point.

I started to label all my gear for two reasons.

The crew I run with is very generous with gear. It’s always flowing in and out. Major gear isn’t a big deal and most of us have all that stuff. It’s the little stuff, or the emergencies. My sleeping pad was stolen last night and I’m leaving tomorrow, can I borrow yours? No problem, I have 3. No rush getting it back, then both parties forget. I forget who I lent it to, and the lendee forgets who let them borrow it. Once in a while gear turns up with a “hey… that’s mine. Awesome.” But I have gear in my attic that isn't mine and I have no clue who to even ask!

The straw that broke this camel’s back was after a winter duck hunt I left my waders behind. I didn't worry much about it because the crew my waders were with are good people. Problem was, no one seemed to remember seeing waders. I ended up finding the waders about a year later, after I had replaced them. Lesson learned. Now I am more careful of keeping track of who has my stuff, and I mark everything. Even books.

m

#105221 - 09/11/07 01:24 AM Re: Who "ID's" there Equipment? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I generally just mark my initials on small gear or my last name on large gear. I have used sharpies and an engraving pen. Depends on the item.

On a camping trip with our scout troop up into Canada, I found a knife for a scout mess kit in our camp site. The knife had a full name and troop number on it. I did a quick internet search when we got back to Ohio and found out that it belonged to a Scoutmaster from a troop in New York. A few e-mails to get the mailing address right, he now has his knife back.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 356 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.