Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105120 - 09/09/07 10:37 PM Having a bad compass day
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Last night I couldn't sleep so I pulled out one of my favorite how-to-use-a-map-and-compass books for some late night reading.

With that in mind I pulled out some of my compasses this morning only to find:

My Brunton 8099 has a large bubble in it.
My Brunton 8096 also has a large bubble in it.
My Brunton 15TDLC's needle actually points to the south instead of north, and it is tilted downward a bit.

Sigh. I haven't got a clue what happened to the 15TDCL. It worked fine just a few in July (last I used it). All my compasses are stored away from nasty fields. I even keep them separated from flashlights, batteries, and the like.

The truth is that I knew the 8099 had the bubble - I'd written Brunton about it last July and they said they'd fix it at no charge. I just hadn't gotten around to sending it in yet. Now I need to send three compasses in.

Befoe we start bashing the 8099, I actually have a second 8099 (long story) that I'd sent in for a bubble repair a few years back and it remains bubble-free to this day ... and I REALLY like the 8099. I find it sooo much easier to sight bearings than with the 15DTCL ranger-style compass.

Ken K.

#105130 - 09/10/07 12:21 AM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: KenK]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Normally if a compass' needle is tilted it is not a global model and is out of the zone it was built for; there are several different zones and normall compasses are made to work in a specific zone.
Bill

#105132 - 09/10/07 12:37 AM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: billym]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: billym
Normally if a compass' needle is tilted it is not a global model and is out of the zone it was built for; there are several different zones and normall compasses are made to work in a specific zone.
Bill

I know this is true, but I don't understand the science of it. Why do normal compasses only work in specific zones and what makes "global" compasses different?

Jeff

#105136 - 09/10/07 01:33 AM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: billym]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not always the case. I've had the same thing that happened to Ken's happen to a LOT of compasses. I kill a compass in about three years that way. It can be 30 year old military surplus, and in three to four years, it will be inverted.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105141 - 09/10/07 02:30 AM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: ironraven]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Well, maybe if you were something like plasticraven or paperraven, that wouldn’t happen!

I know… I know… I just couldn’t resist. crazy

#105146 - 09/10/07 04:14 AM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: Jeff_M]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

I know this is true, but I don't understand the science of it. Why do normal compasses only work in specific zones and what makes "global" compasses different?

Jeff

Here's a good explanation

http://www.dougritter.com/global_needle.htm

The way I understand it, depending where you are on the globe, the needle doesn't always point parallel to the surface of the earth. It could point up or down to some degree. The global needle allows it to pivot without affecting the pointing direction.

#105156 - 09/10/07 12:34 PM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Speaking of broken compasses,

Does anyone know is Silva (I can't remember if they own Brunton or what the deal is) will replace/repair broken compasses?

I have 3 Silva Ranger 15's that all have significant bubbles in the capsule caused by a crack. I think I broke then all the same way by having them in my chest pocket while driving the snowmobile, you hit something hard and compresses the compass against the handlebars.

Thanks,

Mike

#105157 - 09/10/07 12:45 PM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: Jeff_M]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The 15TDCL was built for the US, and worked fine up until July.

You know, I did see funny lights in the sky last July ... oh wait, that was Independence Day. Never mind.

Explanation: http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/~w3gibo/How%20to%20do%20field%20studies/properties_of_magnetic_field_at_.htm

Vector Explanation: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/geomaginfo.shtml

Inclination Map: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/icons/wmm2000i.gif

Compass Inclination Zone Map:
http://www.wide-screen.com/support/FAQsuunto.shtml#Anchor-60059

Brunton says that the 8099 is made for three regions: northern, equatorial, and southern.

#105181 - 09/10/07 04:46 PM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: KenK]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The Brunton 8099 type compasses are seriously flawed in design in my view. A bubble of any sort will prevent the compass card from rotating....effectively making it useless. That coupled with its tendency to form bubbles at the drop of a hat has relegated mine to the storage box....after 3 capsule replacements it just is not trustworthy.

A bubble in a needle compass will most likely not make the instrument useless....that to me is the reason to not use any of the Brunton compass card type instruments.

#105182 - 09/10/07 04:47 PM Re: Having a bad compass day [Re: SwampDonkey]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Speaking of broken compasses,

Does anyone know is Silva (I can't remember if they own Brunton or what the deal is) will replace/repair broken compasses?

I have 3 Silva Ranger 15's that all have significant bubbles in the capsule caused by a crack. I think I broke then all the same way by having them in my chest pocket while driving the snowmobile, you hit something hard and compresses the compass against the handlebars.

Thanks,

Mike

Silva = Brunton. Their repair replacement has been top rate for me. Just do not get an 8099 grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.