Ron welcome, I live in Cal. but spent my youth in AZ and make frequent visits. Is your snake bite kit an old cutter type? Destroy it,does more harm than any good and get a Sawyer extractor. Just watch for the Buzzworms,Gilas and Scorpions and shake out boots,bedding etc. morning and evening. Cone nosed kissing bugs, Hanta Virus carrying rodents and rabid skunks are potentially just as dangerous. Solar stills in the desert are not very productive.You can forget about chopping up a century old cactus for juice. The sweat equity to do it is never worth the bitter result. The classic strategy is to locate standing catchments of water. This is done by watching animals travell,usually in the morning and evening hours. My strategy is to mimic a camel and carry water ,lots of water. There are several survival schools in AZ. Take one. I am only familiar with Reevis Mountain School. They are a "New Age" community with an emphasis on primitive skills and native plant use. I am taking Peter's next trek. My contacts have been very positive and feedback from visitors likewise. You may want to take a contemporary course first. Is your snare wire S/S? Those Jacks can actually break brass wire. a neat trick courtesy of the cattle industry: dried cowpies make excellent fuel and even insulation between you and the cold desert floor. <br><br>