Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103877 - 08/29/07 12:55 AM (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Has anyone had occasion to use these in hot climates, either on-the-job or recreationally? Effective? Bulky? Worth the money?

Couple of the many products on the market:

Texas Cool Vest

Cool Vest

Cool Sport

Thanks.

#103922 - 08/29/07 09:16 AM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: ]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Izzy -

Thanks for the useful input.

#103929 - 08/29/07 12:31 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: xbanker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I used to use one occasionally during my high school job. I won't get into specifics, but it was one of the costumed characters in a specific restaurant chain.

Anyway, did it cool me? Yeah, for about 20 minutes. Our style was a little different, little pockets of ice essentially (think about 1x1 inch). After that, it just turned into a big, plastic, heavy vest.

#103944 - 08/29/07 02:01 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: ]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I'd like to read that paper. When was it written and in what journal do you know?

Augmenting the bodies built in mechanism for dissipating or retaining heat is probably the only effective way for thermoregulation, IMO.

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
A guy I went to school with who's a Doctor now wrote a paper on various forms of moist and dry heat as well as cooling through the introduction of wet towels, dry hot towels and chemical gels that retained heat or cold. He basically found that it only confuses the body.

I think he found that three of his "subjects" (Fellow friends. Myself included.) ended up getting symptoms of heat exhaustion quicker than the average because skin temp went down, but core temperature went up in response to the cooling of the skin. In the end you end up twice as hot twice as quick. You end up sweating eitherway.

Twenty years after the first "Cold Climate Vest" was made for those twin boys who were born without sweat glands they (Johns Hopkins, I believe) found that there is no real way to properly control the cooling/warming of the human body in a safe and productive way.

#104001 - 08/29/07 10:25 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: jshannon]
HTMLSpinnr
Unregistered

My wife uses the Cool Vest to help keep cool when spending any significant amount of time outdoors in AZ (6-7 months out of the year it's "warm"). She has MS, and is sensitive to heat as it exacerbates her symptoms. The vest seems to stay at 60ish degrees for several hours, until the "solid" liquifies. You can then toss the phase change packs in the fridge, freezer, or even a bucket of ice to get them to change back.

For the most part, they work fairly well. I imagine if wrapped in a jacket, they'd do a bit better so that they'd absorb more body heat than ambient. The temperature at which they phase change isn't so cold that it's uncomfortable or causes frost bite (unlike ice).

#104038 - 08/30/07 05:16 AM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: ]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: HTMLSpinnr
My wife uses the Cool Vest to help keep cool when spending any significant amount of time outdoors in AZ

Thanks for sharing your wife's experience Rick. Guess I can safely assume that if they work in Surprise, they'll work in Anthem. grin

I was exploring the feasibility of using to make my warm-weather ATV rides a bit more comfortable.

Dan

#104149 - 08/31/07 03:12 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: xbanker]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I've had luck with cooling bandanas -- evaporating bandannas

tro

#104153 - 08/31/07 04:07 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
...skin temp went down, but core temperature went up in response to the cooling of the skin...

Just a guess, but I suspect that this phenomenon occurs because the skin temperature gets cold enough that the body reflexively starts to limit the amount of blood flowing to the skin (i.e. vasoconstriction). Unfortunately, the core of your body dissipates heat by sending the "hot" blood to your skin where it can be cooled down, so this vasoconstriction works against you when your body is hot. I think a product that moderately cools you (maybe 50-60 degrees?), as opposed to something that sticks a frozen chunk of ice or gel next to you, can avoid this vasoconstriction and also improve core cooling.

Izzy, how cold was the product you were using? Very cold?

#104156 - 08/31/07 04:30 PM Re: (Phase Change) Cooling Vests: Worth the $$? [Re: teacher]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: teacher
I've had luck with cooling bandanas -- evaporating bandannas

Yep, I've been using one of those for last two years. When I first bought and got it home, thought I'd been "had" –– couldn't imagine it "swelling up" as advertised (but of course, it did).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 378 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.